Replacement 38mm screw cap with hole

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playoldgame

Tinker
Reaction score
I've found that the cap that came with my Brooklyn Brewshop starter kit has started to split, and although just about every US home brew supplier has replacement 38mm screw caps with moulded holes available (and they're never more than $0.99 each), my Google-Fu has failed me, and I'm having trouble finding replacements in the UK.

Thing is, although they're only a dollar or so a go, by the time I pay for shipping on them, it'll actually be cheaper to go to my local supplier and get a new demijohn.

Does anyone know anywhere in the UK that supplies them?

Can you not use a normal cap, drill a hole and put an airlock grommet in it?

In theory, yes - but I'm having trouble finding any caps that fit, holed or not.

I guess this is what comes of buying American equipment :grin:

Can you post either a picture of it or a link to it so we can see exactly what it is and where it goes. You never know someone might come up with a solution or even a source of new uns.

It's one of these...

2n6g08w.jpg

Although that black one, with the drill & grommet thing might be just the job :thumb:

I reckon you'd be better off binning the screw cap and just go for a rubber bung with airlock hole in it. They last ages and are easy to find if and when you need another one

I reckon you'd be better off binning the screw cap and just go for a rubber bung with airlock hole in it. They last ages and are easy to find if and when you need another one
For all the pain trying to find a screw cap is causing, I think you're right. Probably forms a better seal than a screw cap too.

I did find a seller that has DJ's with that lid. They don't sell replacement lids but they do sell bungs that fit 'their DJ's'. At a guess you're not the first to have this problem and the answer seems to be ,.. buy a bung

I did find a seller that has DJ's with that lid. They don't sell replacement lids but they do sell bungs that fit 'their DJ's'. At a guess you're not the first to have this problem and the answer seems to be ,.. buy a bung
Yup, that's the route I've gone down. Kinda kicking myself for not thinking of it, but hey, every day is a school day ;)

Back