Stc1000 without heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis88

Reaction score
Hi all, my fridge whilst turned off consistently reaches 15c and as I only ever make ales or sometimes lagers, is it necessary for me to add a heater? Do I just leave the heating part of the wiring blank or will that stop the stc1000 doing its job?

I'm not the most knowledgeable by a long way but I would say yes. It think it would be fine without for lagers but for ales the required temp is closer to 20c. The one I did asked for it to be kept in the range 18-20c.
I may not have it 100% right though so wait and see what the others say.

If you want it to reach a higher temp.you will have to fit a heater. A small tube heater willdo the job, and it will need to be connected to the stc otherwise it willbe on all the time and so will the fridge as it tries to cool the temp down. Simple job and works great......:cheers: if you have youtube,look up gash slug, and search his videos for wireing up an STC

Even for a lager you really need to be able to lift it up to 18 for a couple of days towards end of fermentation for the diacytel rest.

Ok cheers guys I thought pulling the fermenter out of the fridge to room temperature would suffice for a diacetyl rest? I probably will fit a heater of some sort soon or later but so long as it will work as intended for now I'm happy. Does the brew bug start with a brew fridge? if so I think it's got me!

For what it's worth (and what it costs), if I were you I would wire in for a heater anyway, because if you decide on one at a later date you are going to have to take apart whatever you have built to rewire it. As long as you wire it up to a socket to take a heater, you don't have to actually get one just yet, but at least the wiring will be there ready.

Haha, for me I think it started when I got given a bottle of homebrew to try. Buying the fridge to convert was the first symptom ;)

For what it's worth (and what it costs), if I were you I would wire in for a heater anyway, because if you decide on one at a later date you are going to have to take apart whatever you have built to rewire it. As long as you wire it up to a socket to take a heater, you don't have to actually get one just yet, but at least the wiring will be there ready.

I agree, wire it up. You will need it at some point. I've only got one of these to heat mine. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131509750186?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I expect you'd be able to find something similar in the UK. It doesn't have to be fancy.
The brew would give off a bit of heat too.

Latest posts

Back