All grain Pilsner and Lagers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need to ferment at around 12c and condition at 3c

hmmm in Scotland the temperature at the moment is about 12c, but 3c I would need to wait until wintertime and there is no guarantee that it will remain as such and not drop below zero. Also I am having trouble sourcing Pilsner malt.

I think you suspect right sultan. I might have a crack at one though, a mini batch, ferment in the shed and lager it in the fridge!

If you're using lager/pilsner malts, you might want to read the reviews on this yeast... not a true lager but sounds pretty close ;)

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp029-german-ale-k-lsch-yeast

Plus there's two other benefits. Apparently you can pitch the vile as is into 5 gallons (I'd still do a starter) and it favours higher (ale) temps.

Just thought I'd bring your attention to it as I fancy this myself for an Xmas AG pseudo lager :cheers:

If you are going to use a true lager yeast :thumb:

yeah steve was looking around, its a much more involved process, one site i visited advocated preparing a huge yeast starter! gradually increasing its volume and reducing its temperature at intervals. A fridge and a temperature controller are a prerequisite for sure.

If you're using lager/pilsner malts, you might want to read the reviews on this yeast... not a true lager but sounds pretty close ;)

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp029-german-ale-k-lsch-yeast

Plus there's two other benefits. Apparently you can pitch the vile as is into 5 gallons (I'd still do a starter) and it favours higher (ale) temps.

Just thought I'd bring your attention to it as I fancy this myself for an Xmas AG pseudo lager :cheers:

will definitely check it out bill, we simply don't have the same kind of choice that our American cousins have, i have searched for Wyeast and whitelabs, they have loads, all i have ever used is nottingham and safale-04

I think you suspect right sultan. I might have a crack at one though, a mini batch, ferment in the shed and lager it in the fridge!

thats sounds like a plan! I fancy a nice malty but bitter Czech Pilsner! Fresh and crisp and clean and refreshing!

Never done this yet but US-05 has a temperature range of 12-25C. I am sure that conditioning at lagering temperatures would help. If not, just as cool as you can.

I'm also planning a crack at a lager/Pilsner this winter. I'm thinking of fermenting in the shed during the day and maybe bringing it into the utility room over might as I reckon I can keep it pretty cool in there. There's a few fridges going free on Gumtree in my area so I'll try and pick one up for conditioning.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in the meantime... :smile:

I'm also planning a crack at a lager/Pilsner this winter. I'm thinking of fermenting in the shed during the day and maybe bringing it into the utility room over might as I reckon I can keep it pretty cool in there. There's a few fridges going free on Gumtree in my area so I'll try and pick one up for conditioning.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in the meantime... :smile:

Gumtree, free fridges, what a great idea. thanks :D

Back