Home-brewed beer and dodgy guts!?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcunnell

Regular.
Reaction score
Slightly embarrassing one this is! But I was just wondering if it is that common for home brew/bottle conditioned beer to be giving me a dodgy stomach?

I've not really had an issue before with kits, but I am now drinking my first lot of AG beer - which is the HBC brown porter. And it is a really nice drink! If anything it just seems a tad under-conditioned - it has been 2.5 weeks conditioning but not a whole lot of fizz as yet. But if I drink a couple of bottles I do feel pretty bloated quite quick, and the next morning ain't too pretty!!

I wonder if I should be speaking to my doctor about this rather than you lot!!? But to be fair I do get through a fair amount of beer generally, and never had this kind of thing before. Like I say, the porter tastes really nice - there's definitely nothing wrong with it. But is the yeast or something in it playing havoc with my digestive system?!

Thanks guys I will try cooling it a bit then, and will leave it for a week or so.

I did notice yesterday that there was a white layer at the bottom of the bottle which stayed there and didn't look like it wanted to pour out with the beer - so I thought it was okay. But being a porter it is pretty black and therefore hard to really see how clear it is.

Pretty sure it's the yeast so I wouldn't worry. All I know is if I go to the pub I generally have more of a headache. Probably cos I drink more. :)

I always get a burstin' headache after drinking pints at the pub. Never had that at all with home brew. I put it down to the chemicals they use to clean the pipes. Or, as you say, maybe it is because I drink too much when at the pub!

Reading on other home brew forums (what!?!? There are others you say?? Don't worry, they are clearly inferior!!) I've found some similar threads (quite a few in fact) and it definitely seems that the general agreement is these symptoms are yeast related. In fact a few people saying that it is potentially a good thing, and if I persevere with drinking 1 or 2 a night (if I must!!) then my digestive health will benefit, and the symptoms will subside. So there we have it - another good reason to drink my beer!

If you have dodgy guts generally, beer's not great. It's got loads of the things gut bacteria feed on. Hence the bad farts the day after a session. If the beer has wheat added it's even worse

If you have a bad stomach google a fermented wheat drink called Rejuvilac. Its a cheap way of making probiotics. You have reminded me i need to make some more. I don't think yeast is bad for you unless you have thrush, just makes lots of gas. Not as bad as too much beetroot though. :)

If you have a bad stomach google a fermented wheat drink called Rejuvilac. Its a cheap way of making probiotics. You have reminded me i need to make some more. I don't think yeast is bad for you unless you have thrush, just makes lots of gas. Not as bad as too much beetroot though. :)

Thread on here not too long back - yeast a contributing factor (and not a small one) to gout. I have a garden full of thrushes, maybe if I sprinkle yeast on the grass that'll get rid of the noisy buggers?

Pretty sure it'll be the yeast - I had a particularly lively batch that over-carbonated in the bottle and mixed up the yeast when pouring, it definately had an effect :shock:

Mind you, before I started brewing, always referred to Wadworth's 6X as the worlds greatest laxative :-D

Back