Hedgerow Port

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rincon

Reaction score
HI everyone

Ive just made 2 gallons of hedgerow port.

Last night I moved the port from the bucket that all the fruit was in (it had been in there for about 5 days and the air lock had stopped bubbling).

I cleaned out and sterilized and the equipment and 2 demijohns and put equal amounts into both doing it a jug at a time so that both demijohns also had an equal mix of the port in.

But here is the thing, one demijohn is fermenting (by that i mean the airlock is bubbling albeit very slowly) and the other one doesn't even have any pressure in it (water in airlock is level).

So im left with a couple of questions
1. Why would this be?
2. Is the port going to spoil in the non fermenting demijohn?
3. If it is, is there anything I can do?

Im still pretty new too all this and im very confused!

thank you!

HI everyone

Ive just made 2 gallons of hedgerow port.

Last night I moved the port from the bucket that all the fruit was in (it had been in there for about 5 days and the air lock had stopped bubbling).

I cleaned out and sterilized and the equipment and 2 demijohns and put equal amounts into both doing it a jug at a time so that both demijohns also had an equal mix of the port in.

But here is the thing, one demijohn is fermenting (by that i mean the airlock is bubbling albeit very slowly) and the other one doesn't even have any pressure in it (water in airlock is level).

So im left with a couple of questions
1. Why would this be?
2. Is the port going to spoil in the non fermenting demijohn?
3. If it is, is there anything I can do?

Im still pretty new too all this and im very confused!

thank you!

I don't often go in the wine & cider forums as I only make beer so am unfortunately unable to answer any of your questions. I'm only relpying to your thread as the title caught my eye. Can I ask what is hedgerow port?

I don't often go in the wine & cider forums as I only make beer so am unfortunately unable to answer any of your questions. I'm only relpying to your thread as the title caught my eye. Can I ask what is hedgerow port?

Well, im far from an expert on the mater so others will be able to give you much better advice, I also mainly do AG beers so this is newish ground for me.

I followed a recipe in a book called First Steps in Winemaking although it would seem that you can play around with the amont of fruits that go in depending on what you have.

It really is what it says, hedgerow fruits such as wild plum, elderberries, blackberries, damsons, sloes, blackcurrents etc and then you need a high alcohol yeast, I have some made 2 years ago that ive not tried yet, my mate makes it and his was around 19% and tasted great.

There are quite a few recipes on google/forums but all seem more or less the same

Hope thats helpful

Possibly just gas that's already present escaping? never made port but i assume you do degas it at some point, as its essentially just a fortified wine adding your fortifying alcohol should prevent it spoiling?

Possibly just gas that's already present escaping? never made port but i assume you do degas it at some point, as its essentially just a fortified wine adding your fortifying alcohol should prevent it spoiling?

i guess it could just be that, ive made it before but not yet tried it (its about 2 years old) but i cant remember what happened when I moved it to the demijohn.

Guess time will tell haha

Hi Rincon - can you possibly post the recipe you used for your hedgerow port please?

I've just started a sloe / forest fruits experiment - I've kind of bunged it all in the DJ & hoping for the best! I'm also new to home brewing. (That probably shows!) However, I'm loving it & I'm chuffed to bits with my efforts so far.

Thanks in advance.

Louise :)

Hi Rincon - can you possibly post the recipe you used for your hedgerow port please?

I've just started a sloe / forest fruits experiment - I've kind of bunged it all in the DJ & hoping for the best! I'm also new to home brewing. (That probably shows!) However, I'm loving it & I'm chuffed to bits with my efforts so far.

Thanks in advance.

Louise :)

Hi Louise

More than happy to share my recipes but i should add - im no expert!!!

The basic recipe ive followed is this:
2lb Elderberries
2lb Blackberries
1lb Sloes
1lb Blackcurrants
3lb Sugar
Port Yeast and nutrient
2 tea spoons Pectolase
1/4 pint of red grape concentrate.

Now here is where I go off a bit. I seem to never have one or some of the ingredients so this year instead of blackcurrants I added the same weight in damsons - trouble is I have no idea if its worked because i wont drink it for at least 2 years but a good friend who makes it often plays around with the amounts depending what he has picked or has left in the freezer and ive never had a bad glass of his port yet!

To make it I just cover the sugar with some water and bring to the boil, pour it over the crushed fruit (i always freeze my fruit first as it helps to break it down) in fermenting bucket. When it cools add the pectolase.

The next day add the yeast and the rest of the water (to one gallon)

Leave to ferment on the pulp (a word of warning here - the pulp will rise and will need enough space in the bucket or you will have an explosion of dark red liquid over your house as the air lock blocks! Ive seen it happen haha).

After about 5 days strain onto a demijohn.

Ferment and rack as normal and bottle when ready.

good luck!

That's great - thanks, Rincon. The only problem I foresee is the not drinking it for 2 years bit. I have this problem called lack of patience!!

Louise ;)

haha, to be fair ive known it drunk within the same year it was made it was fine. Im about to open a 2 year old bottle tonight - ill let you know!

Latest posts

Back