have i messed up ? mettalic taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlieboy

Reaction score
hello .. i kegged a wilko mexican cerveza about 4 weeks ago, i have just drawn a sneaky half pint and it tastes funny to me, it has a plastic/mettalic taste if that makes sense ? i can not describe what it is im tasting thats the best i can do, have i ruined it :doh:

Sounds like an off flavour but metallic and plastic I think would taste differently?

could be possibly a few things, what sanitiser are you using?

Sounds like an off flavour but metallic and plastic I think would taste differently?

could be possibly a few things, what sanitiser are you using?

i thought it was a bit of both plastic/metalic haha i could not work it out, im using milton tablets.

Here's what John Palmer says about metallic off flavours

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

Are you using a corny keg? Do you think that there is any unprotected metal on the keg which is in contact with the wort?
[/FONT]

Here's what John Palmer says about metallic off flavours

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

Are you using a corny keg? Do you think that there is any unprotected metal on the keg which is in contact with the wort?
[/FONT]

sorry im not sure what a corny keg is, sorry, there is nothing metal on this keg..

sorry im not sure what a corny keg is, sorry, there is nothing metal on this keg..

A corny keg is like is says a type of keg. There used to dispense soft drinks in the hospitality industry but have been 'repurposed' for beer by HBers

In that case I'd agree with clibit and say it's the kit (the tin of goopy hopped malt extract) as they can be sitting on a wharehouse shelf for weeks if not months. This is one of the main causes of the notorious 'home brew twang', as the hopped malt extract is effectively stale by the time it gets to the HBer an requires at least 4 weeks conditioning to get rid of this twang. Also if the inside of the tin was damaged in anyway then the malt extract would have been exposed to the metal of the can which would have leeched into the the extract .

the kit ?? as in ingredients etc or kegs etc ... sorry for sounding new but i am haha

The Cerveza beer kit.

John Palmer says:

Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks in ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

A corny keg is like is says a type of keg. There used to dispense soft drinks in the hospitality industry but have been 'repurposed' for beer by HBers

In that case I'd agree with clibit and say it's the kit (the tin of goopy hopped malt extract) as they can be sitting on a wharehouse shelf for weeks if not months. This is one of the main causes of the notorious 'home brew twang', as the hopped malt extract is effectively stale by the time it gets to the HBer an requires at least 4 weeks conditioning to get rid of this twang. Also if the inside of the tin was damaged in anyway then the malt extract would have been exposed to the metal of the can which would have leeched into the the extract .

now that makes perfect sense, thnx

Back