Any cheap offers for copper pipe anywhere?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcarm

Regular.
Reaction score
Looking at building myself an immersion chiller, been looking online and the cheapest I can find the copper tubing is about £20.

Just wondered if anyone knew of anywhere that it might be cheaper. I don't mind buying online but the ones I've found the delivery charges make it more expensive than going to Wickes.

Are plumbers merchants not for trade only or does it depend on which one you go to?

B&Q is �£22, Wickes is about the same but Screwfix is over �£54 for the same amount for some reason.

The one I use is an independent business, he'll flog anything to anyone. I found him by googling plumbing supplies in my local area. Cheap as chips, and good banter. He was telling me his biggest market at the moment is from Eastern European gentlemen looking for very large bore copper piping, and in his words - 'it's for drinking supplies, but not water!'

Thanks, on googling it appears that there are no independents around my area so will have to keep looking.

Not in any hurry so will keep my eye out for any offers.

Found somewhere I can get 10m of 8mm for 11.60, or the same of 10mm for about 15.00.

Which is better? Read about surface area to volume but that hurts my brain this time of night, but I gather the 8mm would be better. I'll be using it on a 40l buffalo with 20-25l brews.

Personally I would go with 10mm. Hoses clamp straight on, and as you say you'll get more flow through the bigger bore. Easier to bend without kinking as well, I should imagine.

Anyone else who can't source coiled copper could try for coiled soft copper in refrigeration engineer suppliers, they sell various sizes but beware that fridge gas pipe sizes are still gauged on imperial sizes unlike plumbers copper which is all now metric.

Look at this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/331655520327

Immersion Wort Chiller Copper Micro Brewing SpecialsBuilt to match YOUR brew pot
Just did a bit of rough calculation - diameter13.5cm, so circumference about 42cm. 18 coils is a total of about 7.5m of pipe. Considering you can find 10m of pipe for the prices above (certainly less than 20 quid), so a bigger and therefore more efficient chiller, he's making a nice profit. If you can't/don't want to make your own it is an option, but the price he gives is for the size specified (which is quite small, TBH).

Latest posts

Back