Never assume

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardy

Reaction score
All set to do a stout brew and a winebuddy sauvignon blanc. Everything ready to go with all equipment sanitised and just waiting for the delivery of dark spray malt and the Coopers stout kit for the beer and brewing sugar for the wine. The DPD deliveries are always without fail between 08:30 and 11:00 so I was expecting to be well underway now but just had notification that the delivery will be between 18:50 and 19:50.
Who on earth wants a delivery at that time? :oops: Lesson learned to get the ingredients the day before brew day.
I guess I will have to do it tomorrow after Russian F1 qualifying but I suppose it gives me more time to plan my ingredients and get it right.
Here is information on the tap water I have which was provided by Scottish Water. Does anyone have suggestions what to add to make it better suited for stout?
Chloride 7 ppm Hydrogen ion (pH value) 51 Sulphate 8 ppm Calcium 8 ppm Magnesium 8 ppm Sodium 8 ppm Total hardness 8 mgCa/l

Brew day tomorrow :pray:

Last time I got a delivery from DPD they emailed me to say they had left the package with my neighbour, but didn't mention which one.

Got home from work, no card through the door so I had no idea where the package was.

No neighbour knocked on my door so I'm left in limbo not knowing where the feck my stuff is.

Turns out the delivery driver had hidden it behind our bin, I only stumbled across it the next day.

I'm not too far from you, am in Glenboig (originally from Kilsyth).

I could walk to Glenboig in 30 minutes :)
I once had that kind of delivery with Yodel, just a card saying sorry we missed you and nothing about where the parcel was. I thought they would try again next day but after 3 days I chased it up and they said it had been delivered. After 2 more days of phone calls I was told it had been left in "Blue Bin" I had to empty the whole bin into the garden then found the parcel. Just lucky it was gray bin week because it had been sat there 6 days and one of those was bin day.

When making a kit (or extract brew for that matter) all the water adjustments have been done already by the kit/extract manufacturer. All a kit brewer needs to worry about is chlorine in the dilution water. Simply add half a campden tablet to your dilution water and bobs your uncle

When making a kit (or extract brew for that matter) all the water adjustments have been done already by the kit/extract manufacturer. All a kit brewer needs to worry about is chlorine in the dilution water. Simply add half a campden tablet to your dilution water and bobs your uncle
Thanks MyQul, I didn't know that. It's frustrating that I've read all about AG brewing but nothing about Kit brewing.
My second Stout tomorrow and going to use 1kg of dark DME , 200 g of golden syrup and 100 g of black treacle instead of brewing sugar. I'm expecting about 6% abv does this sound right?

I'm afraid that it's a fact of modern life that the delivery chain always seems to be the weakest link. Since none of us want to pay anything for that service, we'll never get the service we need. Yodel even has self employed, owner drivers who get paid per delivery. Not the best way to have them come back to deliver the goods the next day if you're not in. Into the bin it goes.

On the supplier front, I've just had a call from Geterbrewed with a nice lady from Randlestown (very close to where I am originally from) asking if I really wanted one of my bags of grain uncrushed or do I really want crushed. Nice to see some common sense from a supplier instead of blindly packing, 'cos that's what it says on the packing note'.

25 kg Maris Otter mix for £20 can't be bad. I shall be using them again I think.:cheers:

@wardy if you want a stout of around 6% 2xcoopers stout kits plus all your extras gives you 6.29% (according to brewmate ;) ) If you fancy doing this I'd use both the kit yeasts btw

Don't start me on yodel. Lost 4 days work because of them and there "next" day delivery ...... which btw is 8am to 7pm!!!
Well you've got me started ;) I've booked days off for delivery (including today but this isn't Yodel) and delivery turned up well after I got home from work and on 2 occasions didn't deliver on the day they said they would so cancelled the order with the supplier in protest and returned the package when it did arrive.
The worst experience I had was when they delivered to the wrong address, same house number but delivered to .....place instead of. .....road and I found this out after chasing the delivery late on the day after it was delivered to the wrong address. They initially refused to do anything because they said it had been signed for. It was a Galaxy tab S so not something to pass off but the only thing they said was "Go to where it was delivered and ask for it". I argued that it wasn't my responsibility to do that and was then told "it was signed for so not our responsibility" I went to the address where it had been delivered 3 times the next day but got no answer. I then phoned the supplier and told them what had happened with Yodel and was sent another Galaxy tab s by royal mail special delivery but to this day I have no idea what the outcome was with the failed Yodel delivery.

Sorry Moderators for going way off topic with this post.

@wardy if you want a stout of around 6% 2xcoopers stout kits plus all your extras gives you 6.29% (according to brewmate ;) ) If you fancy doing this I'd use both the kit yeasts btw
Brilliant. I will go to Tesco tomorrow and buy one from there to add to the brew.

I've failed on the Brewmate front because that's not available anymore and Brewers friend has poor reviews.
This is turning out to be a very varied thread, sorry, but can you suggest another app or site for doing calculations? I've decided to do a few kits and experiment with ingredients before diving into all grain so something like Brewmate would be very useful.
Thanks,
Paul.

Beersmith 2 is £5.24 on Android. Good reviews and think it would be right up my street on my Galaxy tab. Can someone convince me to buy the app? I just need to know if others use it as their primary tool for recipes and recording data.

Well you've got me started ;) I've booked days off for delivery (including today but this isn't Yodel) and delivery turned up well after I got home from work and on 2 occasions didn't deliver on the day they said they would so cancelled the order with the supplier in protest and returned the package when it did arrive.
The worst experience I had was when they delivered to the wrong address, same house number but delivered to .....place instead of. .....road and I found this out after chasing the delivery late on the day after it was delivered to the wrong address. They initially refused to do anything because they said it had been signed for. It was a Galaxy tab S so not something to pass off but the only thing they said was "Go to where it was delivered and ask for it". I argued that it wasn't my responsibility to do that and was then told "it was signed for so not our responsibility" I went to the address where it had been delivered 3 times the next day but got no answer. I then phoned the supplier and told them what had happened with Yodel and was sent another Galaxy tab s by royal mail special delivery but to this day I have no idea what the outcome was with the failed Yodel delivery.

Sorry Moderators for going way off topic with this post.

Wardy. Wish I could say I was shocked by any of that. Mine was a clutch for my car btw.
Best get back on topic before we get kicked or bust a blood vessel lol :electric:

Rob.

Back