Campden Tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartarcher

Reaction score
Was on an resent course about all grain brewing and chap mentioned adding a campden table, but could not remember when he added it. Anyone able to shed any light of when this should be added as everything I read related to wine more than beer.

Thanks

I add one crushed to my pre brew water to drive off the chlorine.
Thought that was the case. Do you add it before you start to heat the water or do you get your pre brew water ready the might before and add it to that. This is the bit I am getting confused with, reading most add it night before but on the course he added it at pre brew. Does it make any difference.

Thanks

Campden tablets clear chloramines pretty damn quick. I read somewhere about 30 seconds! What I do is measure the water required in total, pour it in my HLT, add the tablet and turn the heater on. No need to do it the night, or even hours, before.

I used campden tablets the night before to prepare water when brewing kits, read somewhere it can knock the yeast back if not done well before pitching.

Not been adding the campden tablets since moving to all grain BIAB. Thought the chlorine would be boiled off during the boil - is that the case or have I made that up ?

I used campden tablets the night before to prepare water when brewing kits, read somewhere it can knock the yeast back if not done well before pitching.

Not been adding the campden tablets since moving to all grain BIAB. Thought the chlorine would be boiled off during the boil - is that the case or have I made that up ?
From memory (and I could be wrong!), you can boil off chlorine but not chloramine which is what a lot of water boards add...Campden tablets get rid of both (I think!).

From memory (and I could be wrong!), you can boil off chlorine but not chloramine which is what a lot of water boards add...Campden tablets get rid of both (I think!).

Ah, ok. I should re-start treating my 26l of mash water the night before a brewday then. Or check if Yorkshire Water add chloramine. Having said that my BIAB all grain tastes so good not sure I need to bother either way.

Does it need to be crushed?

When I added campden tablets I used to crush one in a jug, mix with a little boiling water to dissolve then dump that into my brewing water the day before brewing.

Read that if the campden tablet is used to treat the water not long before using to brew and pitching the yeast it can knock the yeast back a bit so it takes longer for fermentation to get going.

Does it need to be crushed?
I use Campden powder from my local home brew shop - pre crushed:wha: tablets!

Saves crushing them and also easier to add in small quantities if doing a Clibit inspired small batch of AG.

I use the water from my combi boiler (so pre heated to 50-55c) so add just before I start heating it further - 1 crushed tablet to about 30lts. I stir it a few minutes and then put the lid on to help speed up the heating. Think I have always added this way.

C

Help me out here - does this tablet rectify high ph and hard water? I noted recently my lighter beers weren't quite right but my dark beers are bang on lovely. I've done a couple of brews using bottled Tescum water to see - both too early to test. But if this little tablet does he job....

No, Campden taablets have no effect on the PH of water. I've hard water too. Similarly, my dark beers, in particular my stouts are fantastic, not so much my bitters. I have to use acid to adjust me water for pales

Thanks. Shame. I have one ashbeck light ale brew in the bottle - as of Friday - so can put the water theory to the test (as per my overpitching thread).

Latest posts

Back