Cider Fermentation Time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul467

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am just going to start my first ever cider homebrew kit and wondered if you could answer a question for me please.
I have bought a complete cider starter kit, buckets, bottles, heater etc etc and I am going to do a pear cider kit which came with it. The instructions look ok but was wondering how long I could leave the cider in the bucket after fermentation. I want to start the kit now but am going on holiday next Friday for a week. Is it ok to leave it for that time even though it will have finished fermenting. Also it will have the heater in it keeping it around 22 deg. Would this need switching off as soon as the fermentation finished or is it ok to leave it on for a few days until I get back. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

It will be fine for a couple of weeks I would have thought. What I wouldn't do though is leave the heater on, unless it has a thermostat - all it will do is keep heating. Disastrous for your cider, possibly for your house? I take it the instructions are telling you when fermentation will finish? If they are anything like beer kit instructions, they are notorious for being way out with their timings.....

Thanks for the reply ManseMasher. Yes the heater has a thermostat built in. It looks the same as a fish tank heater except that they have put a rubber Bung onto to the cable to seal it through the lid, then of course they inflate the price lol. I can set the temp from anything between 20-30 deg. As for the instructions, they say it should take between 7 to 10 days. I was just worried about keeping the temp at say 24 deg even though it may have finished fermenting and ruining the cider.

When it gets cold in my kitchen i fold a large towel in half and wrap it around my FV and hold it in place with clothes pegs.

The warmer the temperature the cider is kept at the faster it will ferment out (within limits), if you have a room that maintains a fairly constant 19-21c thru 24 hours then that's the best place to put it without using the heater, once fermentation is underway the brew will generate a slight amount of heat which helps to reduce impact of temp dipping 4 or 5c overnight for instance if there was a sudden unexpected frost outside.

My first venture into Pear Cider was from Wilko's, there was no mention of Pears used in the making of it, just Apple juice. I wrote a letter to their enquiring address stating why does the can say Pear Cider when there's no mention on the ingredient label of Pears, their reply was pear concentrate is expensive. I won't be buying that again.

This year I've made Apple Cider for the first time from Apples I've picked from the road side, didn't use yeast there was no need, fermentation started over night.

Bought today a St Peter's Cream Stout Kit and have read on here some very good reports.
I bought the kit local from a Brew shop, the lady owner I know so I get a 10% discount on all items I buy from her...

Latest posts

Back