Muntons Santas Winter Warmer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funk

Reaction score
If you've made up this kit, how fast did yours ferment?

I've hit a bit of a problem in that the instruction set says 6-7 days, mine seemed active on top of the FV for a day but I've not had a single bubble through the airlock.

With it only being a 36 pint kit I presume the gas has more headroom in the FV hence why I've not seen any bubbles? I intend to check with the hydrometer later either way but I want to avoid any further chance of contamination.

All other kits I've done have been 14-16 days fermentation time, I presume this kits just on the quick side?

If you've made up this kit, how fast did yours ferment?

I've hit a bit of a problem in that the instruction set says 6-7 days, mine seemed active on top of the FV for a day but I've not had a single bubble through the airlock.

With it only being a 36 pint kit I presume the gas has more headroom in the FV hence why I've not seen any bubbles? I intend to check with the hydrometer later either way but I want to avoid any further chance of contamination.

All other kits I've done have been 14-16 days fermentation time, I presume this kits just on the quick side?

I can speak for this particular kit though I have done plenty of Muntons kits in general. My advice would be to not get too concerned about airlock activity. It isn't always a good indication of whether your brew is or isn't fermenting. It all depends on whether or not you've got a perfect air-tight seal around the lid. CO2 will always find an easier escape route if it can!

Also worth noting that the froth on the top (krausen) will only last a day or two before subsiding as the yeast works its way down though your beer. Definitely the best thing would be a hydrometer reading to know for sure, but if it were me I'd leave it a good week before checking for the first time.

Meanwhile its probably worth checking the lid is properly pressed down and sealed all the way round?

I would love to hear from anyone who has brewed this kit in previous years, especially on how it tasted after a few months. I am thinking of starting some in October, for drinking around Christmas when I will have a number of relatives staying and I would like to know if my timetable is about right or if I should think of September as a starting point?

I would love to hear from anyone who has brewed this kit in previous years, especially on how it tasted after a few months. I am thinking of starting some in October, for drinking around Christmas when I will have a number of relatives staying and I would like to know if my timetable is about right or if I should think of September as a starting point?

dunno about this kit but I'm planning on brewing my xmas brew in September following something similar to Greg Hughes's Home Brew Beer recipe which advises 12 weeks conditioning

Well, I have just filled my fv with Winter Warmer and because I have 11 expected for Christmas I was a very naughty boy and made it up to 40 pints without thinking. In my panic and rather than take anything out I added some dextrose that I had spare (as I use tablets and not the bags of conditioning sugar supplied with some kits) in the hope that it might help with the extra liquid.

I am just waiting for it to cool down, but tried the hygrometer only to see it register an OG of 1068.

I have some stronger ale yeast which might help, but if I can get it down to 1010 then I will have a brew registering about 7.5%. :twisted:

It might be a rather chaotic holiday period if we are all drinking that.

Back