AG Winter Warmer (from Greg Hughes Book)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toffee

Regular.
Reaction score
Yesterday I did the "Winter Warmer" recipe from the Greg Hughes book.

Anyone done this? I won't post the recipe cause it's in the book, but it's a typical strong british ale with addition of 100g of chocolate malt and 500g of honey.

the recipe calls for goldings/progress/target, but I did it with goldings/fuggles/more goldings cause that was what I could get.

I plan to spice it, as per suggestion in book with some cinnamon and fresh ginger.

For some reason my calculations on the boiloff were not right and instead of 21 L i ended up with 24 or something. more than I safely wanted to put into my FV anyhow. my gravity was also lower than anticipated, at 1054 instead of 1062, at least partly due to increased volume I guess. I had some DME left over from another brew, so put that it to bump it up to 1058. It's annoying as so far all my AG beers have been bang on my targets.....weird.

maybe I got a bit too cocky and made a mistake in calculations.

anyhow, hoping this will be spot on for Xmas!

well I put in the ginger and cinnamon during the week, and the SG is down to 1.011, which is lower than I thought it would go. Of course I tasted the trail jar....and I have high hopes for this. You can feel the warming effect of the high ABV, combined with the slight kick of ginger. Cinnamon spice is understated but there. I hope this will do exactly what it says on the tin!

well I bottled this today. I was supposed to bottle at 2 weeks, but didnt get time before needing to be away. so it ended up being in the FV for more than 3. usually not a problem, but I dont know if the ginger was supposed to be in there for so long, it did seem a lot spicier than when I tried it at 2 weeks whilst checking gravity. So wait and see on this one, i'll give it at least 4 weeks in the bottle.

So....tasting this after 6 weeks.....and I think the ginger is too strong. Not sure if that was because I left it too long in the fv. But it's overpowering everything else. It's still drinkable, but you would not want a session on it.

So....tasting this after 6 weeks.....and I think the ginger is too strong. Not sure if that was because I left it too long in the fv. But it's overpowering everything else. It's still drinkable, but you would not want a session on it.

My standard way of dealing with anything that tastes a bit unusual is very simple. Blend in some stout. Even a short brewed kit stout might make a positive difference.

Alternatively, you could just wait until the ginger taste fades?

Does ginger fade much though? I'm not sure if it does. Ahh it was brewed for Christmas, I'll share it around it won't last long.

I made this last month and I added spices from the Xmas ale on page next to it. Rather than the tip on the page. Tried one a few nights ago and must admit it was cracking. It came out at 6.2%. Hope its a good one Toffee.

Well it's been in the bottle now for 10-11 weeks and it's better. The ginger has indeed faded a bit. Not sure I'd do it again, personally, but some friends who tried it loved it. Certainly tastes unique.

well I bottled this today. I was supposed to bottle at 2 weeks, but didnt get time before needing to be away. so it ended up being in the FV for more than 3. usually not a problem, but I dont know if the ginger was supposed to be in there for so long, it did seem a lot spicier than when I tried it at 2 weeks whilst checking gravity. So wait and see on this one, i'll give it at least 4 weeks in the bottle.

Did you add sugar for carbonization at bottling?

Yes. Actually just had the last bottle of this last week. Ginger had faded. It improved, but not sure I would brew it again.

Yes, I doubt I would do a very strong beer too often. It just goes wrong.

Latest posts

Back