Fimbulwinter Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrannBrew

Damo Brann
Reaction score
After following some discussions regarding Get'er Brewed craft beer kits, Last week I took the plunge to build a custom kit for my next brew that's on ATM.

It uses 3kg of Muntons Dark Malt & 30 IBU's of their ionised liquid.
Amarillo, Simcoe and Centennial (added 50g of each to 3L boiling water, orange and ginger for 5 mins.) this part I don't think worked out very well, as I felt it too long cooling and it all clumped up so I had to sieve water through it, to hopefully extract some of the hop goodness.

I don't think it worked too well as my 23L baby doesn't smell too aromatic more on the malty side currently (I started the brew on Friday 9th Oct using M44 West Coast Yeast)

I still have some hops spare plus the hop teas that I got in the custom kit to dry hop with on the weekend, may add some orange zest too as I was hopping to have at the end of it a black citrus IPA.

Quick Update: Yesterday I put my dry hops in. Before I did I took a reading and quick taste. The reading was already 1.004 after a week.

The taste actually really surprised me at this stage, it felt already extremely drinkable.

I had a bottle of brewdogs liberation black ale out last week and my taste test yesterday was near enough exactly like it. Mine however tasted less bitter.

Definitely had the piney taste,that came first then some slight floral and citrus (not as distinctive orangery as I wanted though) then the mouthfeel you get of a porter.

I'll report next week when I bottle with a picture of the finished pre conditioned beer.

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1445711318773.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1445711335723.jpg

Ok so I've bottled this Thursday and left a plastic bottle in the fridge over night.

Last night's first initial taste was that a pronounced pine taste, then quickly followed by some grapefruit esc notes. When I left it out of the fridge for 20 mins or so the citrus notes came through abit more.

Colour currently is very murky like a muddy puddle. Hop it clears up and that the citrus taste comes through even more. Not overly bitter but a dry finish

Trying not to be repetative and flood this thread. Last night I had a 1 week test. Very drinkable already. I mean I could start drinking it now & it tastes better than either of the other brews I've done before.

I can't quite compare what beer it's similar to but flavour it's definitely pine and grapefruit coming through the most. I was burbing grapefruit after! Goes down smoothly and I didn't feel that I'd had alcohol after. The two other brews I've done, both made me feel like I've had a few!

Lots of sediment though. Put it in the freezer for 10 or so mins then fridge for an hour. That helped settle it.

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1446192691368.jpg

I don't know why but each of the 3 brews I swear that Ive cocked something up but each have come out fine. I'm very happy with what this initial taste has provided.

Yeah if you're tampering at the limits of extract brewing, then AG is beckoning. The potential for experimentation did it for me. Wouldn't go back to extract brewing now

Looks good. Time to try all grain!

Yeah if you're tampering at the limits of extract brewing, then AG is beckoning. The potential for experimentation did it for me. Wouldn't go back to extract brewing now

I will go to AG once I have a Man Cave/Shed/Garage that I can utilise as my own. Currently all my brewing equipment is stored in the airing cupboard (which houses a combi boiler) there's quite a lot of space on the floor & a good temp. for conditioning. As I don't have much space but everything bar the main fermenting bucket fits in there, which keeps the wife quiet. Even if she was the one that originally got me the basic equipment for my birthday 4 months ago. It's all her fault she's created this monster.

I too found that my Black IPA came out with lots of sediment, also my dry hopping didn't quite hit the mark.

That said, it was my most successful brew to date as well.

Just a quick update. 4 weeks & 4 days on from bottling, had a small bottle with some jambalaya last night, the pine notes have reseeded back and the grapefruit esc notes are in the for front, like you've just tried to eat a whole grapefruit in one! Sometimes if I took a sip of the beer I couldn't taste the jambalaya! Still remains very enjoyable and wanted to have another but it was a school night (figuratively speaking).

I am just surprised how given time the flavours change so much.

Back