HebridesRob Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebridesRob

Landlord.
Reaction score
A couple of people have an ongoing thread for their brewdays. Pinching the idea.

Going to make an English India Pale Ale tomorrow, just putting my recipe out there for perusal...

IPA.

15 Litre Batch
SG approx 1.060
IBU approx 55
Grain:
4Kg Pale Malt
300g Torrified Wheat
250g Medium Crystal Malt
Hops:
60min 30g Admiral
10min 30g Challenger
(dry hop after initial fermentation 20g Target)
Yeast:
Danstar Nottingham

Mash at 68c, 15 litres of mash water treated with Sulphates. Volume before boil will be about 18 litres.

A bit experimental, I think those hops are relatively non standard. Picked that yeast because of high attenuation. Tell me if you think I need to alter anything.

Thanks!

Looks good to me too. I recently got back into Fuller's Bengal Lancer. It's a lovely English IPA, though I believe it may benefit from some ageing in the bottle.

I think Fullers use Target as a dry hop in one of their beers (not on it's own though), which is partly where I got the idea from.

Yes, I think it's the Fullers IPA. I read an interview with their head brewer recently.

Yes, here: https://byo.com/mead/item/2148-english-ipa-tips-from-the-pros

"At Fuller’s, we brew our English-style IPA using pale ale malt with a very small amount of crystal malt (about 2%) in the grist. We use Fuggles and Goldings hops as main kettle bittering hops, Goldings as a late kettle hop, Goldings and Target as dry hops."

Things that go wrong on brewday...

No water pressure. Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!

Fortunately only for ten mins or so. Had to be just as I was rinsing the Peco bucket after mashing and before boiling.

I'm behind today. Didn't start doughing-in until 11:00am. Seems ok so far, waiting for the boil to start.

Boil started at 2:00pm, which is a convenient time for timing things. I managed to collect too much sweet wort from sparging, I really don't know how, not concentrating I guess. Going to boil for 30 mins before I put any hops in, just to evaporate some liquid.

I quite like the peco boiler but it takes an age to come to the boil.

Boil started at 2:00pm, which is a convenient time for timing things. I managed to collect too much sweet wort from sparging, I really don't know how, not concentrating I guess. Going to boil for 30 mins before I put any hops in, just to evaporate some liquid.

I quite like the peco boiler but it takes an age to come to the boil.

I have two 2000 watt elements in my Kettle and I think it takes ages!

Flame out at 3:30pm. Had to top-up with a litre of water to get the volume to 15 litres. SG came out at 1.065. Cooled and yeast pitched at 4:30. That's a 5.5 hours brew day, 2.5 hours of boiling and mashing so where did the other 3 hours go?

Anyway, Here's the end product...
Not as bitter as I thought it would be, might be because of the sweetness. Tastes like it'll be nice though.

IPA 20 Oct 15.JPG

Going to bung the dry hops into the fermenter tomorrow then leave for four days. The hops are going in loose.

What next?
Add gelatine and cold crash as it is, then syphon into bottling bucket, prime & bottle?
Syphon into secondary bin in order to get the beer off the bits of hop, then gelatine fining, cold crash for a few days before prime and bottle or syphon again into a bottling bucket before priming?
I'm thinking that I should rack twice but I'm not too sure. I don't normally bother with fining but the last time I dry hopped the haze was horrible.

Could you just cold crash after dry hop and then rack off to a bottling bucket? Allow the bottling bucket some settling time before bottling?

Could you just cold crash after dry hop and then rack off to a bottling bucket? Allow the bottling bucket some settling time before bottling?

Yes, that would be an option, I think it's better if I take the beer off the hops. I was wondering about syphoning off the sediment one more time before batch priming but I don't know why I'm bothering with this since I generally put the sugar in the bottle anyway.

I don't use gelatin, partly cos I don't really want it in my beer, and partly out of a belief that it strips out hop and malt flavour, which could be wrong. I like to leave things alone, use Irish moss and get as much clarity as possible from that, a good boil, enough time in the FV, racking and cold crashing.

I don't use gelatin, partly cos I don't really want it in my beer, and partly out of a belief that it strips out hop and malt flavour, which could be wrong. I like to leave things alone, use Irish moss and get as much clarity as possible from that, a good boil, enough time in the FV, racking and cold crashing.

I don't fine as a rule. I did it a few times a long time ago but it didn't seem to make any difference, looking at info on the net it looks like I was doing it wrong. Chill haze has never bothered me because I don't like beer all that cold, anaesthetises the taste buds in my view, but I'm inclined to give it a try this time, partly as an experiment and partly because hazy pale ale doesn't appeal at all.
Have you seen this?
http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

I don't fine as a rule. I did it a few times a long time ago but it didn't seem to make any difference, looking at info on the net it looks like I was doing it wrong. Chill haze has never bothered me because I don't like beer all that cold, anaesthetises the taste buds in my view, but I'm inclined to give it a try this time, partly as an experiment and partly because hazy pale ale doesn't appeal at all.
Have you seen this?
http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

I don't think I've read that xbmt before. Maybe I'll try a touch of gelatin in a pale beer. Just bottled one today! Though I usually get decent clarity as long as I don't dry hop.

I don't think I've read that xbmt before. Maybe I'll try a touch of gelatin in a pale beer. Just bottled one today! Though I usually get decent clarity as long as I don't dry hop.

Yes, that's my issue with this beer. The last time (the only time, actually!) I dry hopped I could barely see my fingers through the glass.

Beer syphoned into second bucket & fined. Then realised the tap was leaking so had to clean and sterilise the first bucket quickly and syphon back. Hope that doesn't give me too much grief. There were still a few tiny pieces of hop in the beer after two siphons, I expect they'll fall to the bottom. Beer cold crashing for three days now.
Final gravity = 1.010 so pretty good attenuation. Tastes pretty dry, which I think is good.

Flame out at 3:30pm. Had to top-up with a litre of water to get the volume to 15 litres. SG came out at 1.065. Cooled and yeast pitched at 4:30. That's a 5.5 hours brew day, 2.5 hours of boiling and mashing so where did the other 3 hours go?

Anyway, Here's the end product...
Not as bitter as I thought it would be, might be because of the sweetness. Tastes like it'll be nice though.

I reckon 30 mins to heat the brewing liquor, 45 mins to sparge and run off the mash, 45 mins to bring to the boil, 30 mins to cool, with another 30 mins faffing about. Based on my typical timings anyway.

The stout I did on Sunday took nearly 8 hours! A pre mash distraction for an hour, then a stuck sparge and took ages to come to the boil!

I reckon 30 mins to heat the brewing liquor, 45 mins to sparge and run off the mash, 45 mins to bring to the boil, 30 mins to cool, with another 30 mins faffing about. Based on my typical timings anyway.

The stout I did on Sunday took nearly 8 hours! A pre mash distraction for an hour, then a stuck sparge and took ages to come to the boil!

8 Hours :-o i would have fallen asleep :grin:

Normally it's 5-6 hours. Obviously when I'm doing something in the evening and need to finish on time, then things go wrong!

Back