Bruphoria-Wait A Minute Wheres Me Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Lucky enough to win on of these kits from the HomeBrewCompany so made my order last week and it arrived on Friday. I forgot a few things so emailed at 10.30pm to ask to amend my order and got a reply within 10 minutes.
Instructions are very clear. Easy step to step and much better than most tin kits I have tried. Maybe some mention of fermenting temps would be helpful to those just starting out though. Also as you will see i would not recommend brewing this to 22l in a 23l FV. I should of used a larger bucket but i didn't have one available and had no idea how vigorous the fermentation was going to be. I have to say i have never seen anything like it and more than likely its ruined the lid lol. I brewed this to 21l which i hindsight was a blessing. The sample came in at about 1050 and tasted very pleasant.
Already i am thinking i would buy these kits again. Its so easy and am really short of time for AG at the moment. If you think you get 2 tins for �£20 it works out pretty cheap. Very much looking forward to having a taste. My room stinks of it.
Along with the 2 cans of malt you get a little bottle labelled A which is hop oil i believe. Yeast is Danstar Wheat Yeast, an 11g pack. Instructions say to pitch the yeast directly onto the wort but as have been doing last few brews i made an starter the day before. Fermentation started immediately, by day 2 the lid had buckled off. On day 4 now and its subsided enough for the lid to stay on.
Been fermenting at about 18c. Probably gonna put it into secondary at the weekend so can have a taste. :wink:

20151023_214805.jpg

20151023_214812.jpg

20151025_220930.jpg

20151026_132632.jpg

Wow that looks lively! Let us know how it works out. I think HBC sells the cans of extract for £4.95 each. Maybe not the same extract?

Wow that looks lively! Let us know how it works out. I think HBC sells the cans of extract for 4.95 each. Maybe not the same extract?

I know i couldn't believe it. Its really impressive to say the least. I also bought the Davey Crocket IPA and that's fermenting away nicely. More of a normal fermentation though.
They do sell liquid wheat malt for 9.95 but are out of stock so the kit still works out cheaper. I did get a couple of tins of Light Malt Extract which were only £4.95 which i think is a bargain and their spray malt is very good value too.
Free delivery over 70 and got a text saying what time was coming so a big thumbs up for the service. :thumb:

Looks like the lid of my FV hasn't suffered any permanent damage which is just as well cos all are full up. I racked to secondary today and took a reading, had a sample as you do. Already tasted very nice and drinkable, wort was reasonably clear. Gravity was about 1012 and plenty of bubbles left so its not finished yet. Yeast would of been worth saving i reckon but already got another packet of the same.

Hi. im looking to do a wheat beer over xmas and wanted a kit that included bitter orange and coriander (to get a taste a bit like Hoegarden), so I was wondering what was in the bottle marked 'A'?

cheers

Edit: ah, is it hop oil?

Yes its hop oil as i made the mistake of tasting a drop left in the bottle. I think i had a hop hit of about 1000 IBU's. :)
Bottled up on Sunday and its already pretty clear. It was very frothy which i wasn't expecting and if it wasn't so late would of waited for it to settle and top up the bottles. All good though, sample was very tasty. I expect this to carb up well and may have a sneaky bottle this weekend.

20151109_002125.jpg

I had a sneaky bottle the other night and its not carbed up enough. Also i think its gonna require a longer conditioning so will report back in a couple of weeks. The beer is very clear however which is odd for a wheat beer isn't it?

Apologies for taking my time but i really think the beer needed a month conditioning. Its a hit with my Mrs and my friend. Not too bitter as she says and the kind of beer i like, not the hoppy stuff you normally brew. Personally its not bitter enough for my tastes but i have been drinking it, wont last too long.
Would i brew this again? Yes probably for my Mrs and the summer heat and if i wasn't doing AG. And i would definitely brew it short. Maybe 19l as it blows the top of a 25l FV. Would be easy to add a hop tea and some coriander seeds/orange peel half way through. Instructions are clear apart from some fermenting temp guidelines for beginners would be helpful and label the hop oil so idiots like me don't drink it. Only joking but would also be helpful for beginners.
When i placed my order i also bought the Davey Crocket Hop Rocket and brewed at the same time. Very nice drop and easy kits to brew. I do much prefer the 2 can kits if i am gonna do them and the others in the range look good as well. Cheers to Shane from the HomeBrewCompany for giving me the chance to try this out. Cheers :)

Back