London Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, a tweak of the GW recipe for Fuller's London Porter. One of my favourite porters and one I feel is suited to these dropping temperatures.

Grain bill:
Maris Otter 4600g
Brown malt 725g
Crystal: 600
Chocolate malt 120g

Hops:
Fuggles (though I'm using Willamette because I am fresh out of fugs.)

Start of boil 70g

Last 10 mins 23 grams

So far so good. Loving the smell of this as it's not quite so roasted as a stout but has a tantalising burnt aroma.

IMG_20151101_122806.jpg

IMAG3445.jpg

Yeah it's a great recipe this one. Apparently the Hogs Back yeast came from the Hook Norton brewery, Joey.

I've ordered a white labs London ale yeast, not sure how it will work out as never used it before

It's HIGHLY recommended you make a starter even though the WL site say you can just chuck it straight in your wort. That's aimed at US customers who can probably get it straight fresh from the lab to there door in a day or two

It's HIGHLY recommended you make a starter even though the WL site say you can just chuck it straight in your wort. That's aimed at US customers who can probably get it straight fresh from the lab to there door in a day or two
Thanks MyQul I will do that.

Looks good. What yeast are you going with? Would Nottingham or GV12 work? I might have a crack at this tomorrow as i love porter and have plenty of fuggles left.

I've done it with Gervin and it was great.

Hey Beer Cat. Using a yeast from a local brewery but I would have used US-05 or S-04 if not. GV 12 should be fine (though MyQul and Clibit are the yeast Yodas around here. Bow to them I must.

Hi MyQul ive used several WL yeasts and chucked them straight in never had one that failed but they do take quite sometime to take off, used another today WLP800 i think a German Pilsner yeast decided to make a starter lastnight and bang in no time at all bubbling away

Hi MyQul ive used several WL yeasts and chucked them straight in never had one that failed but they do take quite sometime to take off, used another today WLP800 i think a German Pilsner yeast decided to make a starter lastnight and bang in no time at all bubbling away

I'm not saying the wont work but your possibly taking a big risk by not making a starter. You have no idea how the yeast has been treated between the lab in the US and when it gets to your door. To cut and paste from another thread,

"Have you ever bought anything from the US and tracked it using UPS. You'll see your goods will be picked up then sit in big depot to be sorted then it might go to one or two more depot's then transported to an east coast airport where it will wait again for a little while to then be flown over here to another depot before getting to your house. All of this waiting around in depots wont be refridgerated of course and the ice packs that the yeast are packed in will have melted ages ago"

Latest posts

Back