Rye pale is on

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Don't you love it when a meeting scheduled to finish at four finishes at 1230 which means you go home and put on an unexpected brew? I know I do. :thumb:

Anyway, due to exactly this happening today I am giving the grainfather another go with a rye pale:

Grain
3000g Maris otter
500g pale rye malt
130g crystal
30g roast barley

Hops (thought I had more citra than I did so have chucked in cascade. Also got distracted by my in laws turning up, so I'm not sure if my flame out hops are half Amarillo, half cascade, or all Amarillo. Ibus will be a bit out if they're all Amarillo)

12g Amarillo, 10g citra @60
7g Amarillo, 4 g citra, 3G cascade @ 15
7g Amarillo, 7g cascade (might all be amarillo!) @FO

Going to do a cascade and Amarillo dry hop, haven't decided on how much yet (a lot probably)

Using SA-05 as never got round to top cropping my London ale iii yeast.

Should about:
OG 1057, FG 1016, 5.4%, 43 IBU.

Im hoping it turns out vaguely like the Tesco marstons rye pale, which was lovely, and used citra and Amarillo.

I think it's an adapt of the rye pale in Greg Hughes' book. I put it together a while back.

Sparging was a slow business, I chucked a load of rice hulls in to keep it loose but it was a bit of a chore still. Anyway, done now, all boiling away nicely. Smells amazing.

I flipping love these hops.

Flameout hops don't affect IBUs all that much as far as I know. Sounds good though, see if you can guess your hop combo when you drink it. :grin:

Flameout hops don't affect IBUs all that much as far as I know. Sounds good though, see if you can guess your hop combo when you drink it. :grin:

I don't mind which way it goes to be honest. Maybe all Amarillo would be better which begs the question why I didn't do that in the first place...

Forgot to update this one. Dry hopped on weds with 10g cascade and 15g Amarillo. Not a huge dry hop as I didn't want to drown out the flavours that I am hoping the rye will bring. Bottling tomorrow morning before heading to the mother in laws...

I'm VERY excited about this one (beer that is, not mother in law)

25 bottles sanitised Filled and clean up done in an hour and a half. Pretty good for a Sunday morning, especially as I'm feeling rough with a cold today.

The Amarillo smelled divine when I took the dry hop bag out, just amazing. Love these hops.

Obligatory bottle pic below. Hoping it will be ready by Xmas. A bit tight but just over three weeks should be ok for a few samples! I won't be leaving one out for Santa though, he can sod off.

image.jpg

Cracked the first of these tonight. It's a bit early as it's only been three weeks in the bottle but I wanted to check it before I offering it to the old man on Christmas Eve!

It's very nice. Definitely a different flavour profile from the rye, it's crisp but also has a slightly (pleasantly) smooth and syrupy mouthfeel. Not overboard on the hops but I didn't expect it to be.

All in all, very pleased and along with the boddies clone shows that the grainfather produces pretty good beer even with rank amateurs like me at the controls.

Back