hydrometer reading

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyn74

Reaction score
20151120_202015.jpg

Could someone confirm if this is showing 1040 or not? Been at this for 2 days now so another and ill get ready to bottle

20151120_202015.jpg

Could someone confirm if this is showing 1040 or not? Been at this for 2 days now so another and ill get ready to bottle

I'm not sure that the reading is much use to you, here, as there is far too much activity going on here to even think about bottling.

2 weeks in the FV is a minimum for getting the best drink out of it at the end. So, advice is to calm down a bit and leave it for another few days.

That's more like 1.060. I would be more concerned about putting your Gravity meter direct into your beer. Sterilise and bottle is the word.

Sorry I do not agree with any of that , it looks like 1006 to me and whilst most do not consider it best practise sanitising your hydrometer and putting it directly in is fine. Nothing to be concerned about if done right..

Sorry I do not agree with any of that , it looks like 1006 to me and whilst most do not consider it best practise sanitising your hydrometer and putting it directly in is fine. Nothing to be concerned about if done right..
Thank goodness for that - I thought I might be going blind! As for too much action going on, not sure about that tbh, how long has it been in the fv? That looks more like crud on the top rather than active fermentation, backed up by the low hydrometer reading I would say....

I would say you need to take a photo from a more horizontal position across the top of the beer to avoid any parallax error. it is not clear what the divisions are on the hydrometer scale are

I would be worried about contamination. Little too open for my likes.
While in FV I never open it. To take readings, my FV has a valve.
If it's at 1.006, that's some awesome munching from your little critters.

Sorry folks, i meant 1006! Crud on top is from the christmas pudding left over from last year that i crumbled up and put in. Done it before and it makes a lovely flavoured brew ( extra strong too ;-) ). I always leave hydrometer in the barrel, saves having to steralise it each time. Brew is now bottle ready to start drinking it over christmas.

Latest posts

Back