Mr T Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Reaction score
So today I got busy on a much needed day off :)

I bottled 15 bottles of wherry from the primary fermentation vessel before transferring the remaining brew into a secondary and dry hopping with 20g of cascade using a muslin bag. Be interesting to see the difference.

I also brewed a coopers Australian lager kit with 500g of DME and 500g of dextrose. I boiled the fermentabiles in 6 litres of water and added 30g of cascade to the boil for five minutes. Yeast was pitched at 24 degrees, fingers crossed ill have a nice pint in a few weeks.

Already thinking of the next one, maybe a stout.

Big thanks to everyone who offers advice and guidance to those just starting like me, it's appreciated.

Happy brewing

Mr T

Yeah, Cooper Lager with a cascade addition should be a very tasty pint, good luck with it.

Hi Mr T.
Please let us know how you get on with these, I'm clueless with hops, so trying to soak up some experience.
The Wherry/Cascade in particular has piqued my interest, as I have a couple of kits I bought when Wilko were selling them off cheap, so would love to pimp them up a bit.
All The Best.

Hi Mr T.
Please let us know how you get on with these, I'm clueless with hops, so trying to soak up some experience.
The Wherry/Cascade in particular has piqued my interest, as I have a couple of kits I bought when Wilko were selling them off cheap, so would love to pimp them up a bit.
All The Best.

Hi Bevvied

No problem at all, I'm looking forward to seeing the results myself. Splitting the brews is a bit of work but I am eager to see the difference as there is a lot of possibilities. When I latch on to one I really enjoy I will then brew full batches.

After five days dry hopping the Wherry with the cascade I bottled this morning. The difference in aroma was amazing, immediately lifting the brew. I took another OG reading as I was unsure to whether the hops would have had any impact on this. I had a little try and I am excited, the difference from the original Wherry is quite subtle but significant. It really has raised the taste profile - and that's just the trial jar. Counting down the days now, I will wait a month before cracking one open.

I have hopped a Coopers lager this last week in a bid to make a pale ale. This one had cascade added to the boil for five minutes before adding to the FV. I will split this one too as I will also further dry hop half of this - I am a bit of a hop head!

I would definitely give this a go if I was you - splitting down also gives you the chance to get two different options from one kit.

Cheers

Andy

I dry hopped a Wilko Cervesa with cascade and it was really very nice. It was the first time I had used hops and whilst the result was good it wasn't what I was after. It was definitely more aroma than flavour.

I was after a more hoppy flavour as well, something like a Brooklyn Lager, whilst I think the hops were fine I don't think I started with a hoppy/malty enough base in the first place.

Probably looking at steeping some grain as an addition as well when I start brewing again in the new year but will need a bit of research before doing that

For more hop flavour, you want to boil for a good 5 to 15 minutes, or steep in boiling water for a while.

Latest posts

Back