Cloudiness in cooled bottles.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosy

Reaction score
As a novice home brewer I have brewed some Youngs kits and some Coopers kits with great success. With Christmas approaching I decided to brew some Brewferm kits, their Christmas beer and Gold pils. All has gone well and the brew appeared successful however, once the bottles had cleareď down and moved to my cellar for storage they became cloudy again. I tried a bottle or two, as you do!, and they taste great but I noticed that the bottles left back out of the cellar have cleared out again.
So can anybody throw some light on this or do I keep drinking warm clear beer or cold cloudy stuff?
Help please!?!

It's called chill haze - basically it's proteins in the beer coming out of solution & causing a faint haziness. It doesn't affect the taste of the beer at all so I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like cloudy beer down the pub which is usually s**tty pipes or simply the beer going off.

As a novice home brewer I have brewed some Youngs kits and some Coopers kits with great success. With Christmas approaching I decided to brew some Brewferm kits, their Christmas beer and Gold pils. All has gone well and the brew appeared successful however, once the bottles had cleareď down and moved to my cellar for storage they became cloudy again. I tried a bottle or two, as you do!, and they taste great but I noticed that the bottles left back out of the cellar have cleared out again.
So can anybody throw some light on this or do I keep drinking warm clear beer or cold cloudy stuff?
Help please!?!

As Cwrw666 says, its chill haze.
Here's some info on it.

What's odd here is that when I checked on the look of my green bullet pale (still conditioning til next weekend), they had clouded up massively in the shed, having previously been clear. Obviously this is chill haze.

What I can't understand is why this is the only beer I've had affected by chill haze, when it is also the only beer I have used my immersion chiller on? Surely the point of a chiller is to get a cold break, precipitate out the protein and avoid chill haze.

I'm not that bothered as its cosmetic and God knows I've drunk my share of cloudy homebrew, I just can't fathom why that batch was more affected than others I didn't chill.

Edit: mods this thread probably needs moving

you get your protein break near the start of the boil then add the likes of irish moss to help coagulate proteins out at the end. I've got a belgian amber ale which is only recently bottled and has a slight chill haze...but I'm not too worried. I had a pale ale with a chill haze last year and after a few months it disappeared. (the haze, not because I'd drunk it all)

I get chill haze when I put my beer in the fridge but have found that if you leave it in the fridge for a couple of weeks it clears nicely.
I think its called cold conditioning,though I could be wrong.
a friend of mine(who wanted to avoid chill haze) recently bottled a kit brew into 2 litre plastic bottles and left them in the warm to carb up for a couple weeks, needless to say the bottles were rock hard so he put them in his fridge to condition for a couple of weeks within two days the bottles were soft as if they'd lost all pressure so he took them out and two days later they were like rock again. work that one out!

I get chill haze when I put my beer in the fridge but have found that if you leave it in the fridge for a couple of weeks it clears nicely.
I think its called cold conditioning,though I could be wrong.
a friend of mine(who wanted to avoid chill haze) recently bottled a kit brew into 2 litre plastic bottles and left them in the warm to carb up for a couple weeks, needless to say the bottles were rock hard so he put them in his fridge to condition for a couple of weeks within two days the bottles were soft as if they'd lost all pressure so he took them out and two days later they were like rock again. work that one out!

Co2 going into and out of solution?

I did think that and asked what number his fridge was on, "full whack" was the reply so probably too cold.

I recently (November 2015) did a 5 gallon brew based on a recipe that was supposed to be like Old Speckled Hen. It was a partial mash recipe, i.e. I bought malt extract, crystal malt grain and Maris Otter, then did the boil and added Goldings and Challenger hops. Don't know if I did something wrong, but from the moment I transferred it to the fermenting bin it became cloudy and wouldn't settle. I don't have a wort chiller and had to let it cool naturally overnight before pitching the yeast. Maybe that's what I did wrong, but once it had brewed out and I had bottled it, it's still not clearing very well at all, with a sort of sediment that clings to the sides of the bottles. Would appreciate any advice on how to avoid this. I'm wondering if it's the Maris Otter, because I've not used that ingredient before. It tastes fine, but the cloudiness is a little off-putting. I didn't use any Irish Moss.

Back