Help! primary fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graemerboy

Reaction score
I'm brand new to this.... I'm into my 5th day fermentation of a wine kit that included sugar. . It's still bubbling away. Do I let it stop bubbling or progress to second phase as per instructions. Do a reading?? Thanks guys.

If it's your first attempt then I would follow the kit instructions exactly (what do the instructions say?) and if it isn't doing what the instructions say then come back and let us know, once you have a little experience you can start playing around with the recipe to suit your taste.

Second on following the instructions, some kits are 7 day, some 30, regardless of the kits time estimates always be prepared to wait a few days more as there are some things that can impact on fermentation times greatly.

I guess some kits could have you adding sugar in stages to avoid an initial vigorous fermentation.
I still do this with home recipe wine.
If this is the case, then you could add your additional sugar.
However, stick to the instructions and you'll not go far wrong.

Thanks guys. I called to my local brew shop. The girl advised me as you lot did. Solomon Grundy merlot kit I used. The end of the 6th day it stopped bubbling. It was constantly fermenting at 24-25°c. Followed the instructions exactly though after secondary stage wine cleared fine but tasted a little watery and tasteless. Can anyone recommend a better kit?

Thanks guys. I called to my local brew shop. The girl advised me as you lot did. Solomon Grundy merlot kit I used. The end of the 6th day it stopped bubbling. It was constantly fermenting at 24-25°c. Followed the instructions exactly though after secondary stage wine cleared fine but tasted a little watery and tasteless. Can anyone recommend a better kit?

I've just bottled a california conniosseur rioja that i bought on ebay for £42.50 iirc with free delivery, massive bag of red grape juice (about 7-8l going by fermenter markings).

I've tried 1 bottle so far about 2 days after bottling and it was pretty good, I'l probably try another in a months time or so.

We like the Winebuddy Sav Blanc kits, tesco have them on sale with free click and collect but are out of stock at the moment.

My review - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49224

They do have the 7 & 30 bottle Chardonnay kits available (free click and collect) http://www.tesco.com/direct/search-...67294&searchquery=winebuddy&SrchId=4294967294

Latest posts

Back