Mill Recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickeywheelspin

Reaction score
With Christmas round the corner I'm being persistently pestered for ideas from the family. Currently top of the list are a mill (so I can control the crush to suit BIAB) or corny keg(s), although I probably cant stretch to gas, regulators etc at the moment.

Can anyone recommend a mill? I'm looking at the square hopper type rather than those round ones that look like a coffee grinder. Are they all pretty much the same?

I researched this recently, and went for the brewferm one from geterbrewed. A little over a hundred quid with forum discount. Not arrived yet, but reviews I could find were favourable.

I'm sure most of these are the same made in China models. Someone on here bought one from a Dutch seller and said it was good.

*edit*

this is the one I ordered:

http://www.geterbrewed.com/brewferm-adustable-roller-malt-mill-bucket/

minus 5% discount, add on postage around £110. But comes with a bucket that fits into the base, and is a named brand so figure worth the extra £20 or so from the no-name ebay jobs.

Thanks all. I think that you're right Toffee, many of these mills will be the same thing but there's likely to be some real rubbish on the market.

I like the look of the Brewferm one as it's a make I've heard of and the gap adjustment looks better, but the Bulldog is the one that's sold by my LHBS of choice and it's just less grief if it goes wrong to take it back to a shop than sorting it out online.... decisions decisions....

I bought a drill from Lidl for about £10 a while ago - It's rubbish but was fine for mixing plaster. think I've just found a new use for it :D

I thought the mill sold by themaltmiller looked good with a price just under £100. Rob told me they are getting more in very soon. I would be interested if anyone has used one of these?

I really must get some new specs.
For a minute I saw the thread title and got all excited.

I thought the mill sold by themaltmiller looked good with a price just under �£100. Rob told me they are getting more in very soon. I would be interested if anyone has used one of these?

I looks like the brewferm design which a lot of people sell ,and they are out of stock...but their £98 is the best I've seen. I got mine for £111 minus HBF discount plus postage form geterbrewed...some places are selling them up to £142. I forgot to check the malt miller...if I had i'd have waited since I'll soon place an order for malt there.

I got my 'brewferm' mill from geterbrewed, though it wasn't in a brewferm box and was missing a couple of mounting screws....luckily easy to fix since they are a standard size. So I'm not sure if it is a genuine brewferm mill but looks like it comes from the same manufacturer (like the Malt Miller one). However, it came with a nice sturdy bit of real tree trunk type wood to mount it on and a nice quality bucket, so I'm not complaining. Best bit, is that the brews I've been doing recently have all been around 60% efficiency, but the latest brew using freshly milled malt came out at 70% efficiency, so I'm glad I made the move to milling my own malt on brewday.

I need a mill. However, for those of you who know me, you won't be surprised to hear I'm going to have a go at making one. I'll keep you posted!

I need a mill. However, for those of you who know me, you won't be surprised to hear I'm going to have a go at making one. I'll keep you posted!

i have this picture of u standing in front of a mangle scratching your head...

sorry couldnt resist.

I got my 'brewferm' mill from geterbrewed, though it wasn't in a brewferm box and was missing a couple of mounting screws....luckily easy to fix since they are a standard size. So I'm not sure if it is a genuine brewferm mill but looks like it comes from the same manufacturer (like the Malt Miller one). However, it came with a nice sturdy bit of real tree trunk type wood to mount it on and a nice quality bucket, so I'm not complaining. Best bit, is that the brews I've been doing recently have all been around 60% efficiency, but the latest brew using freshly milled malt came out at 70% efficiency, so I'm glad I made the move to milling my own malt on brewday.
Same thing with me. And yes, missing screws. I did ask them if this was the brewferm model and if it came with the 3 year guarantee. They replied yes to guarantee, ignoring other question, but I suspect it's the same no name Chinese manufacturer as the others. But as you say, I think it's good value overall. Not used mine yet, will do in next week or two.

stock-photo-a-old-but-fully-working-water-driven-mill-with-a-rather-large-wooden-waterwheel-located-on-the-12233392.jpg

Judging by the scale of your paddle :lol:

Back