DME vs LME

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevvied

Life Support System For A Beer Belly
Reaction score
Hi gang.
Regarding one can kits, could you tell me whether you prefer using Liquid Malt Extract or Dried Malt Extract as the extra fermentable please.
Do you find some types of beer/some types of kits suit one over the other?
Is there a marked difference in taste/body/feel when using one instead of the other? Anybody done a side by side test with the same kit, one with DME, one with LME?

I'm a huge fan of Coopers Stout and use dark DME, am I missing a trick by not using a dark LME?

Thanks.

Use cough Grain :whistle:

I have done in the past Steve and will do again, just not always. When I do the Coopers tho, I use a 60L FV and do a double batch. I'm not equipped or capable of getting enough grain mashed, sparged and boiled.

I have done in the past Steve and will do again, just not always. When I do the Coopers tho, I use a 60L FV and do a double batch. I'm not equipped or capable of getting enough grain mashed, sparged and boiled.

60 Ltrs i thought i had a problem, i like your style :thumb:

Hi gang.
Regarding one can kits, could you tell me whether you prefer using Liquid Malt Extract or Dried Malt Extract as the extra fermentable please.
Is there a marked difference in taste/body/feel when using one instead of the other? Anybody done a side by side test with the same kit, one with DME, one with LME?

I'm a huge fan of Coopers Stout and use dark DME, am I missing a trick by not using a dark LME?

Thanks.

not done side by side they each have different pros and cons. eg you can get muntons dme in 500g packs - factory sealed whereas cans are 1.5 kg plus so what if you want to use 1/2 a can it's a bit faffy then.

Snip the top off the bag, stir wort, sprinkle in! As long as it doesn't stick to your paddle it'll be reet. Yeast doesn't take any prisoners :lol:

Rob.

if poss try and mix in in colder water it mixes easier and the steam wont make DME stick to the bag ..
I agree. I use DME. Throw it in a 5 litre pot with 2 litres of cold water. I usually use 1kg per 21 litre batch. I then pour the can of Coopers stout into the pan then add golden syrup and dark treacle(also any extras like coaco tips)
I then warm it up to around 70c while stirring but do not boil it. I then throw it in the FV and top up with cold water and keep an eye on temp around 19 litres to make sure it doesn't drop below 22 c.
Probably too much info there but that's what works for me.

wardy why do you say do not boil, I have always boiled DME and I don't think it has caused a problem, or am a doing it wrong.

wardy why do you say do not boil, I have always boiled DME and I don't think it has caused a problem, or am a doing it wrong.
I meant I heat it up but I don't boil. No need to boil the wort when doing a kit brew. I only warm it up to make sure everything disolves and find it better than following kit instructions and just throwing the can and sugar/DME into warm water in the FV.
I find if you raise the temperature above 80c it makes it difficult to get a lower temperature in the FV to pitch yeast.

Hi y'all

re: DME if the dme is factory sealed e.g. muntons or similar, it will be free of nasties. but if for example your 1kg of dme has been weighed and re-packaged from a 25kg pack of dme then you can't guarantee your DME hasn't picked up something, so a 15 min boil is advisable. After all muntons DME is not as cheap as available elsewhere so you need to think why :hmm:

so I boil non factory sealed DME for 15 mins.

Regarding the original post by the withnail & I chap :grin: - nope not much diff there.

Hi gang.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Would not disagree with any of the stuff posted above. The Coopers Stout kit is as close to bomb proof as it gets.

I would add almost any cheaply available LME can to it with much confidence.

As examples - adding a Wilko stout kit, 1kg cane sugar and brewing to 6 gallons (27L) went well - more than once!

I picked up 2x1.5kg of unhopped Amber LME at Wilko this week - would add one of these, no issue, to a 5 gallon brew. (They were no longer listed and got them for �£3 each).

Would add any of the 1.5kg kit can too, as they will have some bittering hops and not much else you can taste, in all likelihood.

And yet, 1kg DME - dark, medium, light, added to this kit makes for a good result.

I doubt there is much difference as long as the cans are sort of in date.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Certainly food for thought. I think I'll do an experiment in the new year and get two identical kits on the go, one with lme, one with dme.

Back