Britains next top brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I was watching that 'great pottery throw down' programme on telly last night (slow night, chez Gareth) and I thought 'for crying out loud they're milking this 'britains top x' reality TV theme.

We've had bake off, master chef, sewing, modelling, allotments, Christ knows what else that I've thankfully missed.

When, a moment of genius (ish) struck me.

What about 'the great British brew off'?!

You could have the technical challenge (something with a tricky grain bill and complex mash schedule).

The 'signature brew' (your speciality).

The ingredients challenge ( a random assortment of stuff you choose to brew something with).

I had beer on mind but obvs it could be widened to any booze brewing.

Im going to pitch it to the bbc. Failing that channel 4 put some pretty desperate stuff out.

Who wants to enter? Or ideas for other challenges it would include?

Sounds quality! Although I think scheduling would be difficult... at least on bake off or masterchef they can sample the finished product straight away.

It's a lost cause, anyway. No main stream channel would get away with promoting alcohol consumption, even though obesity is a huge killer and bake off promotes eating cakes!

Sounds quality! Although I think scheduling would be difficult... at least on bake off or masterchef they can sample the finished product straight away.

It's a lost cause, anyway. No main stream channel would get away with promoting alcohol consumption, even though obesity is a huge killer and bake off promotes eating cakes!

Channe 5 then. No one watches that.

I would deferently watch it. The GBBF (Great British Beer Festival) gets alot of attention especially around the time of bake off. Out of the mainstream channels, five or later on at 4 or itv could work also. I don't think BBC would touch the idea.

You could do taste tests by force carbing the beers.

Your format of the rounds would work great! Tested formula with the bake off.

So I was watching that 'great pottery throw down' programme on telly last night (slow night, chez Gareth) and I thought 'for crying out loud they're milking this 'britains top x' reality TV theme.

We've had bake off, master chef, sewing, modelling, allotments, Christ knows what else that I've thankfully missed.

When, a moment of genius (ish) struck me.

What about 'the great British brew off'?!

You could have the technical challenge (something with a tricky grain bill and complex mash schedule).

The 'signature brew' (your speciality)

The ingredients challenge ( a random assortment of stuff you choose to brew something with).

I had beer on mind but obvs it could be widened to any booze brewing.

Im going to pitch it to the bbc. Failing that channel 4 put some pretty desperate stuff out.

Who wants to enter? Or ideas for other challenges it would include?

The 'signature brew'

My signature brew is anything Clibit comes up with :lol::lol::lol:

Would be a great bit of telly.
Only problem being the delay in sampling the product.

Couldn't you just force carb. in Corny? & bottle 1 or 2 samples so if the contestant reaches the final to judge overall throughout the competition

You could have time lapse photography, and Mr Attenborough doing the commentary - 'and here we have the voracious Saccharomyces cerevisiae devouring its prey, with its characteristic carbon dioxide flattulation giving off a wonderful aroma in its immediate environment'. Then cut to six weeks later when the contestants come back, thus fooling the great British public into thinking that beer can be produced in an hour, wondering why the mark up in pubs is so horrendous, deciding not to go any more, even more pubs go out of business, then they find beer can't be made in an hour, the initial surge in business for LHBS ends abruptly, they go out of business, aaargh!! Armageddon! All because of television....

It would be great to see a serious BBC doc about a big home brew competition. They could follow at least some of the previous years’ winners and runner uppers prior to the competition. I might even put the TV on for a change :lol:

The allotment one filmed over several months if not a full year for obvious reasons and was then shown over a few weeks? Seemed a bit harsh though as people were judged out of the contest for things they planted months ago, and had obviously been doing a lot of stuff for later rounds since then.

OTOH, adapting the format to a type of beer each week (or month?) and running a league rather than a knockout could work better?

Skills:
Yeast harvesting and creating a starter from a single cell?
Stepped mash (BIAB to make it a challenge)
Decoction mash (for a mash that needs it, not as a bodge to stepping).
Hitting a OG bang on.
Flavor test from masterchef to test their knowledge of hops/malts? They have to drink an unknown (but not too complicated) ale, write down the ingredients, and make a clone of it.

Only problem is, it's not very visual, compared to pottery/sewing/food how do you judge a mash without resorting to chromatography (or brewing it and then there's a load of other things to consider/go wrong)?

That'd be nigh on impossible because of the time it takes to brew and condition certain beers. It'd be pretty tedious viewing too, as much as I enjoy making and drinking beer.

Maybe they could alternate the brewing with a house decoration competition and whilst waiting for the beer to condition we could watch paint dry, live on television?
I think there may be an opportunity for invention such as giving competitors a load of vessels,pipes to build a kit (think Scrapheap challenge) then devise a recipe, take lots of ingredients and seeing what they can come up. It might make a good 1 - 2 hour programme but hardly something to follow weekly.

Or we could watch the Brewers get steadily more p*ssed as they drank home brew while making home brew.

Sadly as I always brew early in the day if I followed this law I'd confirm my wife's suspicions hat I am borderline alcoholic

Id be happy with an hour documentary on homebrewing from kits to BIAG to AG and bottling and kegging with all the trimmings thrown in. But unfortunately I doubt we'd get one. Maybe its more of a youtube kind of Doc.

We had a "bakeoff" competition at work, with people making cakes, and them being judged (just a one-off), then they were sold for charity.
I did suggest a "Brewoff" would be possible, but as there is a "no alcohol at work" policy there's not much chance of that!

Latest posts

Back