2nd TC not as good as 1st!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ads

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Been away from the brewing for about a month. But going to put some more TC on this weekend.

My 1st batch of TC which was just apple juice, Tea, yeast nutrient and yeast, with 5 tsp of sweetener per 500ml. worked out really well. everyone loved it.

So put another one on, same yeast, but also with Glyserin and pectolace. This batch wasn't as good. It's got a funny after taste, seems more Tangy. Think I put in slightly less sweetener, but not sure.
I tried one the other night and added a bit more sweetener to it and that improved it a little. I wondered if it could be the Glyserin?

Anyone have any ideas to improve the TC?

Cheers
Adam

I don't make TC but cannot see it being the Glycerine as it is oderless and tasteless, its only there to add body.

Glycerin isn't tasteless I love the taste of glycerin, however I agree it's definitely not the Glycerin affecting taste as you use so little of it that you wouldn't taste it, could it be you added too much of an ingredient by accident, I know too much tannin taste like you described or maybe temperatures went outside the norm during fermentation?

Thanks for the input guys.
Everything was the same except I used Glycerin, pectolace and I also used less yeast as I split a packet between two batches.

From Mikey's suggestions, The only other thing i think it could be is how long I stewed the tea for. Maybe I left it longer the second time which would affect how strong the tea is.

I also remember the temperature was a little cooler the 2nd time, would the temperature really make that much difference?

Think i may have worked it out. The first time i racked in to a second dj just as it was starting to clear to gelp it clear. Then once clear i racked again adding priming sugar and sweetener before bottling.

The second time i left to clear more in the first dj and the racked adding priming sugar and sweetener and bottled. I think the extra rack may have made it a cleaner cider.

Another thing to experiment with. :)

Just a quick update on this. The TC's definitely come out cleaner the more you rack them.
My current method, which seems to remove 99% of the TC twang is to ferment until nearly almost clear. Then rack to 2nd DJ and leave to fully clear. Then rack again, back sweeten, batch prime and bottle.

I find, once the bottles have carbed up, there is very little sediment in them and they taste a lot better with the extra clearing phase. I haven’t had any issue with the bottles carbing up either.

Hope this helps some people.
Cheers
Ads

I do the same, rack after fermentation has finished, leave a few days in the cold to clear a bit then prime and bottle and put back into the warm for a few days to carb up.

Latest posts

Back