Extract idea help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alside101

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello brewers and brewetts i was having a dig around in my hombrew cupboard today and noticed i had a beer kits enhancer that i got for a john bull ipa but didn't use and a 1.5kg can of amber malt extract that i got in the discount part in wilkos i will have 70g of citra hop pellets to use after i open them to dry hop the john bull ipa. Any ideas on owt i could brew. I was thinking a ipa. Not sure on hop amounts and if i would need any more malt extract or hops. As always any help would be much appreciated

Thanks. Al

Yes you could make a simple tasty citra pale ale. 20 litres with an OG of 1040ish, 4% ABV.

Boil 25g Citra for 30 mins in a few litres of water with about half the brew enhancer, and add 25g Citra for the last 10 minutes. You could use the remaining 20g for a dry hop.

Mix the can of extract and remaining brew enhancer with water in the FV as you would make up a kit, and strain the hop liquid into it before topping up to 20 litres.

That sounds so easy and I bet it will make a right decent drop.

For us guys that don't have a great knowledge of all the different hops it could be a real quick and easy way to experiment to find out what you like.

I'm thinking smaller batches, 1.5kg LME plus maybe 40-50g of hops and making up to 10litres would come in around 1.045.

Absolutely. You can use DME to increase the OG. Or to make smaller batches, like a gallon in a demijohn. Steep some grains then boil for 30 mins with hops, and make various styles using crystal, Caramalt, chocolate malt, roast barley etc.

Iv got a peco for Christmas so was going to do a full volume boil around 23l enough to fill 5 bottles and a corny. Thanks for the advice

My Christmas holidays are gonna be filled with brewing. I'm getting a hold of a decent sized pot and have got some grains, LME & hops at the ready. Been planning trying extract and small batch of AG for MONTHS but just not had the time. Defo be having a couple of brew days during the holidays.

23 litres would mean a pretty low OG unless you add more malt or sugar of some kind.

If you add another kg of dried malt extract your ABV would be around 5.5%. I think it would be wise to get another hop to bitter with, and save the Citra for fllavour additions. Chinook, Columbus or another American bittering hop. Or Target, Admiral or Challenger, perhaps. Whatever you can get, cheap. I went for 50 IBUs - pretty bitter, but not mental. Adjust the amount of bittering hops depending on their AA% if the AA% is significantly more or less than the 12.5% shown in this example:

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.5 %
Bitterness (IBU): 50.0
Boil Time (Minutes): 30

1.00 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (42.86%)
1.00 kg Brew Enhancer
1.500 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Amber (42.86%)

40.0 g Chinook Leaf (12.5% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
35.0 g Citra Leaf (13% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
35.0 g Citra Leaf (13% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma steep after cooling to 80*C, or dry hop)

That sounds so easy and I bet it will make a right decent drop.

For us guys that don't have a great knowledge of all the different hops it could be a real quick and easy way to experiment to find out what you like.

I'm thinking smaller batches, 1.5kg LME plus maybe 40-50g of hops and making up to 10litres would come in around 1.045.

Great idea wheazy, never having had the patience to do a straight kit and then re-do it with a specific hop to see the difference and the fact that any added hop is interacting with the hop profile of the kit. This is a brilliant way of gauging individual hop flavours. As I only have temperature control on my main FV I'm thinking of having a crack at this over the summer when I use the hot weather yeasts and I don't need temperature control and I can do this in my demi's I brew wine, punch and cider in. This is definitely a plan for next summer.

Latest posts

Back