Smelly fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looch

Reaction score
Morning

I got given a Wilko 30 bottle white wine kit the other day - so started it off, following the instructions. It hasn't frothed at all but something has been happening because it's changed colour. However, it now stinks of sulphur. I've never made wine in this quantity before - only ever in the 5l DJs. Is this normal or should I chuck it away?

Thanks

Well I thought it was. I'm sure I read it being OK. But if you google it apparently there could be a problem.
But I wouldn't chuck it yet. My first cider smelt a bit like that. Not sure of the second because I just left it.

Maybe I should have left your question for someone else with more experience to answer. However I was pretty sure I'd read before it was a problem.
I've had a look and it seems that it could be that the yeast is struggling.
This thread http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38111
doesn't mention about the yeast struggling, but it does say "If you have a second bucket about the same size just splash it back end forth between the two buckets a few times. The smell will usually go away". And also " The addition of oxygen to the batch at this stage does not hurt and may actually help the fermentation".

Maybe Chippy will be able to shed more light on it, but I think it will be OK.

A lack of nutrient can cause a smelly fermentation, yeast needs all the help it can get so always add a teaspoon to be on the safe side.

Indeed as Chippy_Tea said lack of nutrients would be most likely cause, all of the more expensive kits I have made have had this smell(beaverdale, Kenridge) etc as they either didn't contain nutrients or a very small amount, grapes contain enough nutrients themselves so kits don't always include them. The smell should go away after fermentation if it refuses to go sulfite the must

Just an update on this smelly white wine - thanks to all the advice from you guys, I managed to save it. It's now bottled & ready to go, go, go. Cheers everyone.

Back