Where to start

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uberboy

Reaction score
Howdo all

I have been thinking about home brewing ale for a couple of years, and I am now thinking of taking the plunge.

But, where to start?

Should I start with kits, or go with all grain?

What kit do I require?

And what books are available that you think would stand me in good stead?

Any advice given would be most welcome .

Thanks.

I was on the same thought as you, I have done Malt extract brewing before and was never really happy with the results. I decided to take the plunge and go for all Grain brewing and bought myself a 100 litre kit. I got mine from www.powellbrewing.co.uk and he does different size kits.

As for books Home Brew beer by Greg Hughes is good for an overview of brewing and has a lot of recipes in it. How to brew by John Palmer is supposed to be good for more in depth information on brewing.

There really is no right or wrong answer to whether to go AG, extract or kit. Or indeed a hybrid of any of the three!

You need to consider how much time you want to dedicate to brewing, by all accounts AG can be very time consuming whereas kit brewing is really quite quick.

How much control do you want over EXACTLY what goes into your beer?

How much space do you have at home to set aside for brewing kit and equipment?

All things needs to be considered.

For me I started out with kits and still use them. I am looking to dip a toe into extract and AG but to be honest I don't think I will make a complete leap. Simply due to time and space constraints.

Thanks, I have ordered the suggested book. The equipment looks very nice indeed, although a bit pricey (should've stated I was a yorkshireman).
As for time, space, etc, I will have half a standard size garage once decluttered this weekend.
Time, at least a couple of hours a day, plenty of time at weekends.

And, I would pretty much prefer full control over the ingredients I put in, so reckon AG may well be the way I go.

Where in Yorkshire are you based ?

If you have the space (1/2 a garage is more than enough), and the time (6 hours on a Saturday or Sunday) then I would say all grain gives far superior results over kits.

Having said that, there is something to be said for starting with a couple of kits so you can build up a bit of kit and a bit of experience with sterilising, fermenting (holding at a constant temp with some kind of temperature control) and bottling/kegging before moving on to all grain.

Anyway, good luck with it, welcome to the forums, lots of great advice on here and some very friendly forum members.

Thanks, I have ordered the suggested book. The equipment looks very nice indeed, although a bit pricey (should've stated I was a yorkshireman).
As for time, space, etc, I will have half a standard size garage once decluttered this weekend.
Time, at least a couple of hours a day, plenty of time at weekends.

And, I would pretty much prefer full control over the ingredients I put in, so reckon AG may well be the way I go.

I did kits for a couple of years and still do the occasional one and experiment with dry hopping with reasonable results. Trouble is I could/can never totally loose the famous 'homebrew twang' with the kits. That said, it is a good way to learn the process of cleaning, sterilising, bottling and kegging and temperature control . The kits available today are infinitely better than those of yesteryear !

I now do BIAB (brew in a bag). It's the simplest form of AG brewing requiring less equipment than the three vessel method, but it is still quite time consuming. It takes me four hours start to finish. I use made up AG kits from Worcester hop shop, cheaper than most kits at 11/12 quid and the results are far superior...
Eventually I will move onto making up my own brews but these AG kits are a good way to start, I believe other shops do them too.

As a fellow Yorkshireman I too found it hard to splash the cash but it has been worth it.

Check out Clibit's 'have a go at simple AG brew' thread, much info there.

Where in Yorkshire are you based ?

If you have the space (1/2 a garage is more than enough), and the time (6 hours on a Saturday or Sunday) then I would say all grain gives far superior results over kits.

Having said that, there is something to be said for starting with a couple of kits so you can build up a bit of kit and a bit of experience with sterilising, fermenting (holding at a constant temp with some kind of temperature control) and bottling/kegging before moving on to all grain.

Anyway, good luck with it, welcome to the forums, lots of great advice on here and some very friendly forum members.

Ha ha, Spapro, seems we were typing pretty much the same advice at the same time...
Hey ho, just reiterates the same thoughts !
:thumb:

I'd agree with the others to go for a kit or two first to get the sanitation, fermentation, bottling etc sorted out then work back to AG either in one step, or maybe buy your boiling kettle & chiller an do an extract brew to get used to the boiling with hops part, then all you need is a mashtun and your doing all grain (doubling up boiling kettle as hot liquor tank) ...thats the route I followed. AG does make the best beer IMO...nice clean taste, no home brew twang. The good thing is that all the stuffyou buy to do a kit will still be used when doing AG. Alternatively exlpore brew in a bag method and equipment...lots of people use that method on the forum. good luck

Think the general consensus is that starting with a kit would be the best way to start, gain some experience, and progress steadily from there. Thanks for all the advice so far.

And, I hail from Penistone, in middle of nowhere, yet close to everywhere.

Cycled through Penistone once at the end of a 4 day cycle ride, from memory there was a blooming big hill up to a set of T junction ?

Without repeating previous advice, maybe consider your supplier? On line is usually cheaper but LHBS (local home brew shop) can be a mine of help and information and competitive.

Then again you are a Yorky :doh:

Not sure of the hill mate, did it lead to a high point where you could see the Langsett reservoir? Heartcliffe hill? We have that many around here.

Not sure of the hill mate, did it lead to a high point where you could see the Langsett reservoir? Heartcliffe hill? We have that many around here.

The hill I am thinking of, we came over a hump back bridge with lights on it then up this steepish hill to the middle of a town (think this was joining the A628). Maybe we came through Penistone and then on to where I am thinking of. Twas 4-5 years back.

The hill I am thinking of, we came over a hump back bridge with lights on it then up this steepish hill to the middle of a town (think this was joining the A628). Maybe we came through Penistone and then on to where I am thinking of. Twas 4-5 years back.

Ah, it could've been Cubley hill, which leads towards Stocksbridge/Midhopestones. Like I say, the only way out of Penistone is up a hill, fun in the snow!!

I think it is great to be at your stage, starting out in brewing, it is exciting but you don't yet know how much it will grab you! I started with a kit and 80 kits later..in two years...I jumped into AG. I love AG, but everything I know now was honed in kit brewing and I can't imagine that I would be as comfortable in AG brewing if I didn't have such a background. The basics of sanitisation, fermentation and the use of hops were understood without the added pressure of understanding mashing and the rest. My personal advice would be to start with kit brewing, there are great kits out there, and practice.

Latest posts

Back