AG Wheat Beer Adventures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Brewed my first AG wheat beer just over 2 weeks ago. The Greg Hughes recipe and i must say the sample was very nice. Spicier than i would of thought. Bottled it up today and ended up at 5.5%. I couldn't resist using the yeast again so yesterday i started another brew and just pitched it tonight.

Batch 23l
No Chill
Mash 66c 1 hour

2kg pal malt
2.5kg wheat malt
500g crystal wheat
120g de husked caraf type2
200g munich

30g EKG @60
20g hallertau @ flame out
20g hallertau when cooled to 85C

I ended up with 19l after topping up with about 4l so was way off again mainly down to not using enough sparge water. Was also enjoying a few beers whilst doing this though.
I let the wort cool overnight and topped it up this afternoon with a little boiling water and more room temp.
Dumped the cooled wort on top of the old yeast and within an hour was bubbling. A few hours later its going nuts. Very happy so far
My recipe was a bit random, wasn't gonna use Munich but i opened the bag by mistake so my brewing friend suggested i add some in any case. Found an extra 500g of wheat so threw that in as well.
For an experiment am gonna make a citrus amarillo wheat beer next and throw it on top of this. Fingers crossed.

I just made a Fortunate Islands copy using almost the same ingredients.
60% wheat malt
30% Pilsner
10% caravienna
If I remember correctly.

Hops are Amarillo and citra.
Quite honestly the best beer I've made so far and I only bottled it last night. Can't wait for it to be two weeks in the bottle.

You'll be very happy with that I'm sure.
What yeast did you use?

That sounds really promising Darren. Not heard of Fortunate Islands before. Only wheat beer i really know is HoeGarden.
I reused the Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast from my last brew. The sample had a strong banana flavour to it which just goes to show how different yeast strains are. Ive ordered some liquid yeast so will be giving that a go next. The coriander and orange peel also smell amazing when you throw that it.

First taste of this was very roasty. Not quite sure why but will give it a few more weeks and try it again. The Greg Hughes recipe is a definite winner though.

Tried a bottle of this again last night and it was really quite drinkable but not what i expected. The roast flavour has gone but so has the flavour from the yeast. I had a few last night before i tried this so gonna leave it a week and try again. Its gonna get drunk though which is the main thing. The Greg Hughes however continues to improve.Mine is much hoppier than his recipe but as far as i can remember ber i dry hopped it and made a hop tea with all the Saaz i had left. Will be trying liquid yeast next week as soon as i get time. :lol:

The Greg Hughes American Wheat beer recipe is pretty good. Light and refreshing.

I added a 40gram Citra dry hop to it though for a slightly bigger punch of hops and used us-05 yeast.

Perfect for summer drinking.

Sounds good, i might try that myself. Did it make much difference using US05? Less banana flavour i would guess. I wonder what upping the amount of coriander and orange would do? Starting to think i need to buy citra in bulk as getting through loads of it.

Back