Electrim boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sime51

Reaction score
Hi,I'm thinking of getting the Peco digital boiler,any thoughts on em?
Can I use it to ferment too by keeping it at 20°?

Last edited:
I'd suggest that it's probably not air tight enough for an FV.
Also consider that normal room temperature would be about 20° so in most cases there should be no requirement to heat it.
Unless of course, you're brewing in the shed/garage etc.

For the sake of £10 in Wilko's I'd suggest getting a separate fermenter.... Or get 2 - that way you can get a second on with your empty boiler!! :-P:thumb:

Thx,I've got an FV just thought as in theory you can set it at 20° and I'm brewing in an outhouse it could make a good fermenter.A layer of clingfilm should help make it airtight.
Any thoughts as to whether its a good purchase generally?

Nothing wrong with a boiler, I think a few people use them here.. I wouldn't ferment in one..especially if it got cold in the outhouse.. can you imagine the electricity bill you might accumilate over time.?

I am not sure I would trust the hot spot of that either and how would you know that hot spot is providing an accurate 20ºc throughout.. Further more I wouldn't want all that trub and yeast cake sat on my element for that time...

I am sure people probably do it but I think it is a bad choice.. I would transfer it to a fermenter and find another way to insulate it or regulate the temp.

Nothing wrong with a boiler, I think a few people use them here.. I wouldn't ferment in one..especially if it got cold in the outhouse.. can you imagine the electricity bill you might accumilate over time.?

I am not sure I would trust the hot spot of that either and how would you know that hot spot is providing an accurate 20ºc throughout.. Further more I wouldn't want all that trub and yeast cake sat on my element for that time...

I am sure people probably do it but I think it is a bad choice.. I would transfer it to a fermenter and find another way to insulate it or regulate the temp.

This is important as a dirty element will cut out. Also using your boiler as a fermenter means that you can't use it as a boiler (obviously!); so you're tying up an expensive bit of kit when you could be using a cheap one.

I think fermenter, insulation and/or heating belt/aquarium heater are the preferable way to go.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

I'd go with the others...if you are using it as a boiler to boil the wort, will you not be wanting to transfer the boiled and cooled wort to the fermenting vessel before the boiler has been clean of the crude/hops ?? Cleaning out the boiler is usually the last thing I do on brewday which is after I've pitched the yeast into the FV.

Latest posts

Back