How long does malt etc keep

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking of taking advantage of the HBC mashkit sale (and site discount) and ordering a few kits but how long will they keep? All the hops, grain etc are sealed.

Months, I should think. The grains will keep better than the hops is my guess, so do the hoppy ones first and the dark beers like stout last. A stout would, traditionally, only have bittering hops.

Thinking back to the beers of say 30-40 years ago, the standard "bitters" would only be bittering hops. Very little other hop input.

Grains will last much longer when not crushed no? I'm interested, what would be the recommend time to store both crushed and uncrushed grains?

I buy two 25kg sacks of crushed at a time once i open a sack i transfer the contents into smaller air tight containers or vac pack bags zip lock bags are also a good idea :thumb:

afaik crushed grain lasts about a month but seeing as through there in sealed bags possibly longer. Keep the kits away from sunlight too.

I do something similar to steve, when I get my (crushed grain) home from the LHBS I transerfer it into zip lock bags then put this into large snap lid (tuppaware) boxes.

The hops will last months if you seperate them from the kit and put them in the freezer

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I guess I would have to open each HBC pack to store hops and yeast separating. I was looking at purchasing 6 packs which would last me next year.

Thanks guys. I guess I would have to open each HBC pack to store hops and yeast separating. I was looking at purchasing 6 packs which would last me next year.

I wouldnt open the kits up just for that leon! the hops will be vac sealed anyway and when was the last time you walked into your LHB and they have took dry yeast out of a fridge? ive never seen it stored in fridges in shops,yes its a good idea to but i would not bother to open all them kits, just keep them in a cool dark area thats dry:thumb:

Latest posts

Back