Small Batch Dry Stout (GH)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
As an experimental venture, I have decided to try some 12-15L batches of AG to see how this compares to the Partial Mash brews I have recently been doing. These start off at maybe 25L and yield somewhere around 22L in the end and they are great, IMO.

So today I did a pared down version of the Greg Hughes recipe for Dry Stout, if anyone wants to know what it is in specifics, just ask!

The main thing I noticed is that it takes longer to chill, since there is no longer the option of adding the famed "Bunch of water"* from the fridge (at 3C) to get it down from 30C to reasonable pitching temp at the end of the water changes in the sink.

I really am going to have to sort out that wort chiller I only used once, aren't I? :whistle:

*There are typically six Litres to the Bunch - although it could vary - maybe 4L in winter and 8L in summer? The expression is taken from a HB video made by a "dude" from the warmer end of the USA. He adds "a Bunch of water from the fridge" to his wort before pitching. Iconic.

For me, a good AG brew is clearly better than a kit plus mini mash, you should be in for a treat, and probably doing a mixture of AG half batches and full size partial mash brews.

It's basically the guinness recipe with a bit of choccy. I'll PM it to you as I dont want to put the actual reciepe on the open forum

Yes, good form. My recipe may have differed slightly, because they always do.

Anyway, my intention is to leave the 14L effort for 2 wks before disturbing, then a further week in secondary before bottling.

I can then compare very closely the outcomes with the PM stout I started the week previously.

As I have said several times, I am basically blown away at the difference a stove-top partial mash adds to a kit based brew.

To progress - the one BIAB full mash I made with the HBC IPA Cascade kit (PECO boiler & fiddly wort chiller) is now amazing.

Yes, good form. My recipe may have differed slightly, because they always do.

Anyway, my intention is to leave the 14L effort for 2 wks before disturbing, then a further week in secondary before bottling.

I can then compare very closely the outcomes with the PM stout I started the week previously.

As I have said several times, I am basically blown away at the difference a stove-top partial mash adds to a kit based brew.

To progress - the one BIAB full mash I made with the HBC IPA Cascade kit (PECO boiler & fiddly wort chiller) is now amazing.

This stouts benefits greatly by about 6 weeks conditioning. You'll be amazed by the results and find it knock spots of anything you can buy

This stouts benefits greatly by about 6 weeks conditioning. You'll be amazed by the results and find it knock spots of anything you can buy

Thanks for this, for what seems like a long time, I have been leaving my beers for 8 weeks plus in the garage before drinking.

This evening, I have been drinking a Wherry plus an Elderfower addition that was started on July 4th. It is a very sound beer with a distinctive addition that makes it quite different.

Doubt I would do it again, in honesty, but I tried blackberries last season as an addition and came to the same general conclusion.

Malt, hops, yeast, water. That's the past, OK, but not drunk anything that suggests that it is not the present and future.

It's basically the guinness recipe with a bit of choccy. I'll PM it to you as I dont want to put the actual reciepe on the open forum

I know you sent it to me privately but I think it doesn't infringe any copyright by posting it up (it's only 1 page of the book imo).

All stouts are basically 70% Base Grains (Maris Otter etc.), 20% Flaked Barley and 10% Roast Barley. I love my stouts and brewed one yesterday with the addition of a vanilla pod. I call it my house stout because it's so easy to do.

I don't think you'll move away from AG Slid, the only requirement is a lot more time but I think there's something therapeutic from it knowing you've done something from scratch. Pricewise it also helps your pocket especially if you start reusing yeast and buying grain in bulk. My Stout yesterday cost £6.50.

If it's not a silly question, could you sterilise the bottles containing a bunch of refrigerated water and chuck them in like giant ice cubes to cool the brew without diluting it?

If it's not a silly question, could you sterilise the bottles containing a bunch of refrigerated water and chuck them in like giant ice cubes to cool the brew without diluting it?

Yup. I used to do this before I started to no chill. I helps a lot/cools faster if you continually stir the wort with the ice bottles in. I helps/chill even faster if you put your boil kettle in the sink/vessel fill it with colds water and continually change the water.

Thanks for this, for what seems like a long time, I have been leaving my beers for 8 weeks plus in the garage before drinking.

This evening, I have been drinking a Wherry plus an Elderfower addition that was started on July 4th. It is a very sound beer with a distinctive addition that makes it quite different.

Doubt I would do it again, in honesty, but I tried blackberries last season as an addition and came to the same general conclusion.

Malt, hops, yeast, water. That's the past, OK, but not drunk anything that suggests that it is not the present and future.

I also find the mouthfeel improves too

I am now about half way through drinking this 24 bottle brew and it is really good. As it is a very long time since I bought fancy beer, I can't really compare it to bought stuff. But it does have a very deep roasted flavour.

For some reason, perhaps under-priming, it feels carbonated, but has no head to speak of. This does not concern me, since I learned to drink beer at Uni in the deep south of England.

Similar finish to the Northern Brown Ale I also made in a half batch size. Not that the taste is the same, just the conditioning.

That really was an eye opener. Not much by way of hops and an unassuming looking grain bill as well. Soft, drinkable taste, though. Very more-ish.

Not a style I had considered previously, but as cwr (plus some symbols, with a ghostly avatar) asserted on the forum, this is a very sound recipe that is remarkably cost effective and that will clearly stand some experimentation.

I'm thinking of doing another, full length, GF brew tomorrow, using the GH recipe again.

Latest posts

Back