Chinook and Cascade recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopWroester

Reaction score
Hi,

Thinking of brewing this today

5gl in the fermentor

6kg MO

7g chinook @60
7g cascade @60

7g chinook @30
7g cascade @30

then 7g of each @5 min intervals.

then 10g of each at flame out

OG 1059
IBU 49

Either safale 04/05

Anyone see any obvious problems? Any advice welcome!

Thanks
Mark

Looks good. Go with US-05. With 6kg of grain I'd have expected a higher OG, but the recipe looks great.

Dave

This didn't go well at all.

Unexpected house guests, kid running round and so on.

The mash got stuck, not a massive drama as fixed it quick enough.

Biggest problem is/was that the total volume i got out of the mash was short and i didn't notice, this has led to the final amount in the fv being about 15 ltr, 8 short!

This wort is so so bitter because I used the hop amounts for the full boil.

Question - I've not pitched the yeast yet, can I add 8 ltr of boiled water to the fv? Would this mellow the bitterness? the OG is 1066 which is about the target of 1059.

I'd dilute down with tap water until you reach your target gravity.... probably will be a lot less than 8 litres ...if its still ultra bitter I'd dilute it down further to eg 1.050 and see what its like. Pity you added all the hops at the beginning (if I understand correctly??) since you'll miss out on a lot of the flavour and aroma from the later additions

You could add 8 litres water and 1 kg light DME. This would give you 23 litres at 1059. Seems like the best option to me.

Your efficiency was 52%, hopefully you know why. Kids eh?!

Added the water and dme....tastes much better but still rather more bitter than expected. Will pitch the yeast and see what happens :thumb:

Quick update.

This spent three+ weeks in the fv and has had nearly the same in the bottle.

Result is a pretty decent pint, nice golden and clear (ish), i worried for nothing!

Head retention is poor but then I put nothing but MO in.

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back