Easy Drinking Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
Afternoon Folks,

I would like to make an easy drinking bitter using up various things I have in stock/left over. It would be nice to have something other than the hop forward beers I have been making, plus I keep telling the father in law that I'll make some beer he likes as he doesn't like hoppy beers. I'm still after a bit of hop flavour and not a pint of malty liquid.

I have come up with the following and would appreciate your feedback as I've not made this style before.

Batch 23ltr
ABV 3.8%
IBU 29
SRM 10
OG 1041
Mash at 67/68??

3750g Pale Malt
250g Crystal Light
250g Torrified Wheat
150g Dextrose
100g Crystal Dark

25g Fuggle 60min
20g EKG 20min
20g Styrian Celeia 5min

1tsp Irish Moss 15min

Use either S-04 or GV-12 yeast

I also have 250g Special B if that would work instead of the dark crystal.

Thanks for your input!

I've found 27-29 IBUs seems to suit many palates. And its surprising how much quicker it "matures". I can drink 27 IBU bitter a day after it goes in the cask! (Hand pumped, very low carbonation). But a 34 IBU seems to take a couple of weeks to mellow. So you should be alright with 29 IBU.

I wouldn't mess with "Special B" in such a low gravity bitter, and even your dark crystal will be noticeable. I put in just 120g of dark crystal, 400EBC, (in 65 litres!) because I didn't have enough ordinary crystal (just a kilo!) and the effect was very noticeable; the bitter (about 4.2%ABV) came out much darker and with a pronounced increase in "caramel-ly" flavour (not my assessment, but another with whom I barter kegs of beer for hours on his horses!). I'll repeat it, but cut back the dark crystal (which is already about 1/5th of what you are suggesting).

Your reciepe is similar to the Gales Butser bitter reciepe from BYOBRA that I regularly make (but usually change the hops/shedule but keep the grist the same). I prefer to mash at 66C

Your reciepe is similar to the Gales Butser bitter reciepe from BYOBRA that I regularly make (but usually change the hops/shedule but keep the grist the same). I prefer to mash at 66C

Cheers MyQul, so go with the recipe above and mash at 66c then?

Yes, although that is a decent amount of crystal in there, which is fine if the thats what your after - the GBB recipe has 85g crystal with an OG 1.034 so slighty lighter than your reciepe. Just for comparison London Pride has just about 10% crystal, your reciepe is about 7.75% (if I've inputted everything correctly)

Yep, you're bang on with 7.75% according to brewtoad. Still learning with crystal malts, so not really sure what I want! I like London Pride, so I guess that's a start.

I would like to make an easy drinking bitter using up various things I have in stock/left over. It would be nice to have something other than the hop forward beers I have been making, plus I keep telling the father in law that I'll make some beer he likes as he doesn't like hoppy beers. I'm still after a bit of hop flavour and not a pint of malty liquid.
I have come up with the following and would appreciate your feedback as I've not made this style before.
Batch 23ltr
ABV 3.8%
IBU 29
SRM 10
OG 1041
Mash at 67/68??

3750g Pale Malt
250g Crystal Light
250g Torrified Wheat
150g Dextrose
100g Crystal Dark

25g Fuggle 60min
20g EKG 20min
20g Styrian Celeia 5min

1tsp Irish Moss 15min

Thanks for your input!
I just wondered how this had turned out.
I have all the ingredients and was thinking of converting the recipe into a simple extract brew.

Afternoon Folks,

Batch 23ltr
ABV 3.8%
IBU 29
SRM 10
OG 1041
Mash at 67/68??

3750g Pale Malt
250g Crystal Light
250g Torrified Wheat
150g Dextrose
100g Crystal Dark

25g Fuggle 60min
20g EKG 20min
20g Styrian Celeia 5min

1tsp Irish Moss 15min

Thanks for your input!

That looks like a good recipe :thumb:With an ABV below 4% & not too many hops it'll be a lovely malty session beer.:thumb:
Just my opinion but you may concider changing the Dextrose for golden syrup this is very similar to invert sugar used in commercial brewing & will not add appreciable flavour or any homebrew twang that can sometimes be noticeable with dextrose in any quantity.

Back