V Basic Temp Control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had my Fullers ESB clone brewday yesterday, using WLP002 yeast. Pitched yeast at 19.5 C, and put in spare room which was at 18 C. By this morning (18 hrs in) it was bubbling away nicely but due to exotherminc nature of fermentation , despite the room being at 17.4, the brew was at 20.2 C (fermenter has v. useful thermowell). By lunchtime it was up at 20.8. Normally I wouldn't worry, but because I'm using WLP002 for this rather than the likes of Nottingham or Saf05, I decided to take action. Room temp was around 17.8 Deg C so I got the summer fan out of the shed and stood it in front of the fermenter. Within an hour it was down to 20.5 (per pic) and half an hour later its at 20.3 C so I'm pretty pleased with this low tech solution. I should be OK after the first couple of day as the fementation slows and simply sitting in a room at 17-18 should be enough to keep inside fermenter temp at 19-20 and avoid too much ester production. Will move to 20 C in kitchen after 5 days when primary fermentation should be complete.

Resize of P1030747.jpg

Resize of P1030749.jpg

That's a nice looking fermenter! +1 for brewing in the spare room, which includes storage of my brewed beer too, much to the annoyance of SWMBO.

Tried the fan and a wet towel in the summer, seems to work well.

Latest posts

Back