First brew day lessons!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin1911

Reaction score
Well I took the plunge yesterday and did my first ever brew. I brewed a Hoppy American Pale Ale using one of the starter kits from Get Er Brewed.

It went fairly well considering it was my first time. The wort is now in the FV and is bubbling away like an asthmatic scuba diver, so fingers crossed it's working ok. I'm not going to get my hopes up though - I'm not 100% sure I had sufficient paranoia about the sanitation aspects.

A few things I need to do a bit more research on though:

1. I started off with 26.5 litres in the mash tun, but now only have 16.5 litres in the FV. I was expecting it to be nearer 19 litres. Not sure where the extra 2.5 litres went, although item 2 might have something to do with it
  2. During the boil, I had to leave the lid semi-off the mash/boil bucket, as it would boil over or start spewing hot wort out of the air hole if the lid was left on. Suspect I might have lost a lot of liquid this way. What's the best way to overcome this? Add more water to start with, or get a heating element that can be adjusted for heat output?
  3. I measured the OG as about 1.045 which is right at the very bottom of the 'expected' OG. Does this mean I pulled the malt out too early?
  4. The FV bucket seems to have a small hole on each side at the top, presumably for a handle, but no handle was present, so thought these might allow the CO2 to escape, and also let bugs into the liquid, so I've taped them up. Was that the right thing to do? I'll drop Get Er Brewed an email to ask if there's supposed to be holes.
  5. The instructions for the APA said to put hops in at 60 mins, 10 mins and 0 mins. I couldn't quite work out what effect the 0 mins one would have - I presume that it releases some flavours/aromas during the cold break? And I also presume the hops should stay in the bucket during the cooling phase?
  6. Speaking of cooling, I was surprised how long it took to cool the wart down. It came down to 35C fairly quickly, but the last 16 degrees took an age!
  7. There seemed to be quite a lot of gunk/sediment in the wort as it went into the FV - is this normal, and will it settle down before bottling, or will I be picking bits out of my teeth when I drink it?
  8. I didn't realise quite how messy a job it all is. Now I know why they say it's 80% cleaning and 20% brewing!

Welcome to brewing!

1. Grain and hops absorb water, as well as point 2.
2. You're right to leave the lid off as undesirable compounds are boiled off during the boil, if you leave the lid on they'll stay in your beer causing off flavours possibly.
3. OG is a result of your mashing efficency, as long as you hit your target I wouldn't worry. It will improve with experience.
4. Not sure with this, the FV shouldn't have any holes through to the inside?
5. 0min additions are normally left to steep for 30mins after flame out. Common practice is to cool to 80c then add them to preserve the hop oils that evaporate above 80c.
6. Yes, it takes a while, but not as long as without a chiller!
7. You will get some break material in the FV, but you can strain the hops out with a sieve as it goes into the FV. Anything that does make it in will settle out.
8. The beer makes cleaning worthwhile.

Watch how addictive it becomes! You'll soon be buying more ingredients than you need and be running out of places to store your equipment!

My first few brews I remember my kitchen looked like a bomb had hit it and the last thing you want to do is clean up after a long day brewing. However once you have done a few you'll probably find that you make less mess as your process improves. Also you'll find as you get more organised and comfortable with the process that you have more time to clean up as you go along. I'm quite surprised sometimes how little I have left to tidy up after I've transferred the wort to the fermenter.

Be interested in this one, they gave me the same kit with the grainfather and I'm just getting round to it now. May have to do a bit of research to hit the 23l wort I was hoping for.

Hope it turns out well for you :)

1. I started off with 26.5 litres in the mash tun, but now only have 16.5 litres in the FV. I was expecting it to be nearer 19 litres. Not sure where the extra 2.5 litres went, although item 2 might have something to do with it.
    It's hard to predict how much water will be lost first time. Next time use 2.5 litres more.
  2. During the boil, I had to leave the lid semi-off the mash/boil bucket, as it would boil over or start spewing hot wort out of the air hole if the lid was left on. Suspect I might have lost a lot of liquid this way. What's the best way to overcome this? Add more water to start with, or get a heating element that can be adjusted for heat output?
    You should allow room for steam to escape.
  3. I measured the OG as about 1.045 which is right at the very bottom of the 'expected' OG. Does this mean I pulled the malt out too early?
    Probably not. It could be that the water shortage meant that there wasn't enough water to effectively remove the sugars from the grain.
  4. The FV bucket seems to have a small hole on each side at the top, presumably for a handle, but no handle was present, so thought these might allow the CO2 to escape, and also let bugs into the liquid, so I've taped them up. Was that the right thing to do? I'll drop Get Er Brewed an email to ask if there's supposed to be holes.
    You did the right thing blocking the holes.
  5. The instructions for the APA said to put hops in at 60 mins, 10 mins and 0 mins. I couldn't quite work out what effect the 0 mins one would have - I presume that it releases some flavours/aromas during the cold break? And I also presume the hops should stay in the bucket during the cooling phase?
    You assume correctly.
  6. Speaking of cooling, I was surprised how long it took to cool the wart down. It came down to 35C fairly quickly, but the last 16 degrees took an age!
    It's wort, pronounced wurt. You've been watching American videos! The last bit of the cooling takes the longest, cos there is less difference in temperature between the water or air around the beer and the beer itself.
  7. There seemed to be quite a lot of gunk/sediment in the wort as it went into the FV - is this normal, and will it settle down before bottling, or will I be picking bits out of my teeth when I drink it?
    It will settle to the bottom - leave it in the FV at least 2 weeks.
  8. I didn't realise quite how messy a job it all is. Now I know why they say it's 80% cleaning and 20% brewing!
    Practice makes it much less messy.

Some good answers/points already posted.

Just wanted to add that stirring the wort during cooling makes a big difference to how fast it cools - agree that getting it down from 35-22°C does take a little while.

Thanks all for the replies, you lot are really very kind and helpful. If only the rest of the interweb was the same!

It turns out that the holes I thought I had on the FV didn't actually go through to the inside of the FV itself - they only went through a bit of the lip of the FV, so I didn't need to tape them up after all. Whoops :oops:

This whole waiting thing is torture. I want to drink it NOW! ;-)

Thanks all for the replies, you lot are really very kind and helpful. If only the rest of the interweb was the same!

It turns out that the holes I thought I had on the FV didn't actually go through to the inside of the FV itself - they only went through a bit of the lip of the FV, so I didn't need to tape them up after all. Whoops :oops:

Only practical suggestion I have is to start planning what brews you want to make in the future and how to go about doing them.

Very impressed at your starting right away with an AG brew.

The good thing about you starting with AG is that you'll probably be able to start drinking it after 2-3 weeks in the bottle. I started with kits, which still weren't great after 2 months!

Back