Muntons Active Brewing Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
Who has used this yeast and what has your opinion been? I've avoided it because it's cheap and gets mostly poor reviews, but my Chinook pale ale used it for the first time and it's really surprised me. I've loved the beer, nice blend of US and UK hops and lovely yeast flavours. Great mouthfeel, and bottle carbonation. Fermented and cleared quickly, bottles poured nice and clear. I will be using this yeast more. I'm not sure I need to buy liquid yeasts now! The Muntons website says...

"Muntons brewer’s yeast is a dried brewer’s yeast that produces a powdery flocculation with an apparent attenuation of 70%. Ideal fermentation temperature is between 64° ��" 70°F to produce an alcohol tolerance of 8% ABV. It provides low ester formation but with relatively high residual sugar giving good body and mouth feel."

I got the 70% attenuation, body and mouth feel. Mine was more estery than the description suggests. I went for 50 IBU s and this worked well in countering the residual sweetness, it didn't seem like 50 IBUs, more like 40. The yeast didn't stick to the bottle but there was hardly any yeast in the bottle, after cold crashing. It carbonated well though.

Any other opinions? If you've not used it, give it a go. Well worth a try. It's in a yellow packet, 6g, around ����£1.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Muntons_Standard_Beer_Yeast.html

Not used the Muntons but I've GV12 a few times and for a value yeast it worked really well. In fact it's a key part of my Deuchars IPA recipe.

There's a bit of me now thinking "why faff about with liquid yeasts and starters, when Muntons does a lovely English ester/low attenuation thing, Nottingham does the cleaner, higher attenuation thing well, and US05 is very effective at what it does with American ales?" But I'll keep trying liquid yeasts to see what they have to offer. Munton's is a great yeast to have in the fridge though, in my opinion, along with Gervin/Nottingham. You could make any British or American ale with these two, I'm sure. But I'd use two of the 6g packs if I was brewing 20-23 litres.

Give the 04 a whirl. See what you think. And try the Muntons again. It's only a 6g pack though, so is often under pitched, presumably.

Muntons is the only ale yeast my LHBS stocks so I have used it but only in an emergency. Stupid little packet though, just like you get in a Muntons kit. Though, actually, it worked fine on the odd occasions I've used it.

Muntons is the only ale yeast my LHBS stocks so I have used it but only in an emergency. Stupid little packet though, just like you get in a Muntons kit. Though, actually, it worked fine on the odd occasions I've used it.

Yes you would need two packets for a five gallon batch. Is this yeast the same as the yeast that comes with Muntons kits? Or do their kits use the Premium Gold? Or do one can kits use the standard yeast and two can kits the Premium Gold? Muntons says the standard yeast is suitable for beers made with added sugar. Which is odd, cos I made a lovely AG beer with it.

It sometimes feels like British commercial brewing organisations are all over the place. Why does Muntons persist with 6g yeast packs? And then tell you that a yeast is only any good for beers made with added sugars? As if the yeast gives a toss! :)

hello fellow brewer

did you're st peters ruby turn out ok? did you add anything to improve it or just as it was?

I'm getting the ruby this week and want to know before the weekend if it needs tweaking

cheers

Chris

hello fellow brewer

did you're st peters ruby turn out ok? did you add anything to improve it or just as it was?

I'm getting the ruby this week and want to know before the weekend if it needs tweaking

cheers

Chris

Mine turned out great. I brewed it short; 19 or 20l I think, rather than the full volume. This upped the abv and meant less to bottle ;) I've still got loads left, its a cracking kit.

hello fellow brewer

cheers

Chris

Like I said on the original thread, it is pretty good by itself.. I would generally advocate swapping yeast on a lot of kit beers but this one was pretty good if I recall..

I would say especially with a premium kit like this, it is a good idea to do it first then think about what you want to tweak.. with it being a 2 can kit you could do half see what you think then possibly tweak the second half..

Back