Banana wine....ish!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello all I was busy last night, and I had a problem with the pc so I couldn't get the pics uploaded.
I went for 5l Banana wine. SG is 1080..

let it cool before I pitch the yeast.

ill stain the liquid into a DJ in a few days.
ive got a few reservations on this one.....might be wrong.
ATB
Bri

I might have to do another banana wine soon, I got given loads from a van driver a few years back and made about 12+ gals and over sweetened it, I didn't have much else drinkable or blendable at the time so got fed up with it even though it was a lovely flavour wine, eventually had a couple o dj's of very dry wheat n rice that I blended with the last gal or three o banana and it was wonderful, then it got drunk very quickly!

Hiya Bri - You'll have to let us know how your banana wine turns out. I've never had it before, but it sounds interesting - I'd love to see a photo when it's finished!

Louise

Recipe please :whistle::thumb:

here you go:thumb:
2kg of banana's
1kg Sugar
250 ml grape concentrate
1 tsp pectolase
Tannin
Nutrient
1 tsp acid blend or citric acid
Yeast

Slice the bananas and boil for 20 mins.
Strain carefully into a clean food grade plastic bucket
When cool to room temperature add the rest of ingredients and top up with cold water to seven pints total water.
It should start bubbling within 24 hours. If it doesn't, add more yeast because you killed the first lot!
After 3 days strain off, use a coarse straining bag that you can buy off us. Or, improvise if you must with muslin or the net curtains.
Put into a clean demi john with an airlock top up to the shoulders with cold water and leave to ferment out. This may take a few days or a couple of weeks depending on the temperature.
When the bubbles stop coming through the airlock, or slow down to about one every 2 minutes test the wine.
Either use a hydrometer or taste it. If it's too sweet leave it longer.
If it's dry(sour taste) or just right syphon off into a clean demi john.
Add 1 campden tablet and potassium sorbate.
Leave to clear.
When clear, syphon into a clean demi john or bottle.

ATB
Bri

Last edited:
I started a Mango wine at the weekend, made from 6kg of fresh mangoes, 2kg sugar, pectolase, yeast, water to 10 litres. SG 1100.

Smells horrid! Will see how it is when its fermented out a bit, may add some apple juice.

Hi Guys don't know if missed it but can't see any amount for the bananas listed in the recipe , If i have missed it the sorry

Brian perhaps you could go back and edit your post with the recipe in and add the 2kg of bananas to the ingredients list?

03/12/15
well tried one handed to drain the wine.... NO CHANCE!!
so had adapts it slightly.....

going drain for a bit..then have SG reading then into a DJ..

now holding my hand up! ive cocked it up!
supposed to leave the cooked banana's in the FB for a day or two.....drain then add the yeast etc..
no I add the yeast already to the mixture...formention for a few days......
I told u my brain is not working properly...ive got confused a bit!!! all lot confuse!!
I hope yous guru's can tell if it ok....
I'm a hazard!!!
ATB
Bri

the wine is surprisingly good taste.....apparently it doesn't stay that colour.
the SG reading is 1015..i think?

nice colour...

I'm going to leave it....check the sg reading for under 990+ de-gas & clear it.
if still ok to brew??????
ATB
Bri

Latest posts

Back