Double First Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labowner

Reaction score
Going to be doing a first AG brew and first Grainfather brew hopefully tomorrow but certainly within the next few days.

Its an American Pale Ale that was provided by Geterbrewed when I bought the gf.

The instructions given are showing mashing at 65c for 60mins and no sparge but I'm hoping to end up with 23l wort in the fv so I'm going to use the values given by the calculator on the gf website.
ie:
6kg grain / 23l wort = 19.7l Mash / 13.1l Sparge
Boil will be as recipe 60 mins with hop additions at 60, 10 and 0.
Whirlfloc tablet 10 mins before end of boil.

I'm using Lidl water as I was very pleased with the last kit I used it in.

I just have to assemble and clean the grainfather yet :doh:

Does the mash and sparge values look somewhere about right and is there anything else I need to consider?
I now nothing about strike temps is it simply a matter of preheating the water 5-10c above the mash temp and then adding the grain basket?

Usually the mash uses between 2.5 and 3 litres water per kg of grain - so between 15 and 18 litres in this case, for 6kg. I've never used a GF but can see no reason why it should be any different from other techniques. Your total water of 32.8 litres looks reasonable. But it's hard to predict when I've never used a GF - someone who has may be able to give accurate advice. For sparge water take the mash water quantity that you use away from 32.8.

Usually the mash uses between 2.5 and 3 litres water per kg of grain - so between 15 and 18 litres in this case, for 6kg. I've never used a GF but can see no reason why it should be any different from other techniques. Your total water of 32.8 litres looks reasonable. But it's hard to predict when I've never used a GF - someone who has may be able to give accurate advice. For sparge water take the mash water quantity that you use away from 32.8.

Cheers Clibit, I've built her up and have her cleaned and ready to go with a quick sanitizing in the morning. Been all over youtube looking at videos to get some idea of how its should go :)

Latest posts

Back