Bottle conditioning a cold crashed beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgumby

Reaction score
Hi guys. I normally keg all my beer but I have a 5 gallon batch to bottle for Crimbo presents. Unwittingly I cold crashed the beer as I often do and then began to wonder whether the bottles will carb having done this. What are your thoughts?

Well it's bottled, so there's nothing you can do now anyway.

But... I reckon it'll be fine.

Dave

I always keg after 4 days cold crashing at 1 degree. I always bottle and prime any leftovers as the corny only holds 19L. Mine turn out just fine by leaving them for 2 weeks at about 20 degrees (obviously takes a day or so to come back up to temp), then conditioning at around 8 - 10 degrees for a couple of weeks.

Rich

Did the same with my bottles the other day but following advice from forum members I brought them into the warmth. They look to be developing a fizz now:D

There will always be some yeast in suspension within the beer and even with careful transfer process I always manage to disturb some of the yeast at the bottom of the FV so I reckon this will be OK.

My usual practice is to cold crash as low as possible and then transfer to a bottling bucket into which I have added priming sugar solution. once bottled there is always some dregs of yeast in the bottom.

No problems.. as said above the beer will contain lots of yeast regardless of how clear it looks, and after decanting into bottles you will have lots of small volumes of cold beer but being small volumes they will warm up to carbing temps rapidly (within a day) think about how long it takes a bottle to chill in the fridge ;)

Thanks all. I haven't bottled yet but I have cold crashed so this gives me peace of mind.

I cold crash and bottle all the time. Just make sure you account for the beer temperature at time of bottling when calculating your priming sugar addition as when the beer contracts it will draw some of the CO2 in the FV into it.

This calculator will do the work for you

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

I would argue that the temp prior to crash chilling should be used, the ctash chill will not add any co2 to that already in suspension, and its that level of co2 that was in suspension @ equilibrium durring the fermentation period that such calculators are good at taking into account.

a larger brewed @ 12C will have more c02 disolved in it than an ale @18c but that difference wont change if both are crash chilled,,

I crashed chilled all mine after transfer from fermenting,it seems to send more of the sediment to the second chamber,then i add the priming sugar into a third pressuried barrel,and put it in the warm (20c for a couple of weeks) before transfer to my outside brick shed,clarity is far better i have found.

Festival Landlord x 3 "All gone"
Festival Endevour "All gone"
Festival Endevour "On the go again"
St Peters IPA "On the go"

Latest posts

Back