Cherry wherry?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis88

Reaction score
Having just put a morello cherry cider on to ferment which is smelling really good nearing the end of fermentation, it's got me wondering if using a woodefords wherry with 500G of cherries is a good idea. I like the sweetness of a wherry and I think it would suit it. What's the general opinion? I've never had a kriek beer before so maybe I should try a few first?

If you're going to try some; Kasteel Rouge or Petrus Aged Red are great cherry beers.

I think it could work. I've added frozen sweet black cherries to a coopers stout (and planning to brew another with prune juice). The cherry version worked well in the stout, but I think blackberries would suit Wherry better if you can find them in the frozen fruit aisle.

I think it could work. I've added frozen sweet black cherries to a coopers stout (and planning to brew another with prune juice). The cherry version worked well in the stout, but I think blackberries would suit Wherry better if you can find them in the frozen fruit aisle.

For fruit in a stout try using Youngs Harvest Stout as a base; it already has a sort of mixed berry fruit thing going on and is rather good...the kit makes 30 pints as opposed to the normal 40.

I'd go for beer enhancer or malt extract to ensure full body and good mouth feel; a minimash would be even better if you're up for it.

And personally I'd rack the nearly fermented stout onto the sterilized fruit (about 1.5kg) and leave to mature for a while e.g. 3 to 4 weeks if not longer.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

And personally I'd rack the nearly fermented stout onto the sterilized fruit (about 1.5kg) and leave to mature for a while e.g. 3 to 4 weeks if not longer.

That's a good tip - thanks.
I think the cherry stout I made previously could have definitely benefited from more time in the beer before bottling: the taste was there but it was very subtle.

Latest posts

Back