splitting yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brydo

Regular.
Reaction score
hi guys, ive got myself 4 one gallon demi johns and my plan is to brew 4 different types of the same style of beer at once, eg 4 wheat beers, 4 lagers and so on. this is so i wont waste any yeast. my question is would it be ok to hydrate one packet of yeast and then divide the mix evenly between the four demi johns ? has anyone done this before or have any advice on the subject ? cheers guys

It'll be fine to do but it might be easier not to re-hydrate the yeast and just pitch it dry so you can weight out the right amount. 5L of around 1.044 needs 3g iirc

ah ok, cheers for that. ill need to get myself some really sensitive scales for that. is hydrating dry yeast a bad idea in general ? i was just gonna put a packet of yeast in a litre of water and then 250 mls in each of the demi johns

Quite the opposite, it's much better to hydrate yeast. I just think it will be easier to split dried more accurately. If you plan on doing small batches regularly it'll be worth get some jewellers scales from amazon/ebay as your hop amount will be quite small too. I bought some cheapo ones from amazon when I first started doing AG and there very accurate to 0.1 of a gram

Back