What are the chances my yeast is viable?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eightball

Reaction score
Hi
I have managed to mess up. I have a liquid yeast that I mail ordered about a month ago and forgot to put in the fridge. I made a starter to see if it was still a goer and its been 24hrs now I have seen anything move through the airlock, however its cloudy and there is a yeast line on the bottom and a smell of yeast when I remove the bung.

My gut reaction was its a non starter, but then I read this can be normal? If the yeast on the bottom was the dead yeast from the vial, would it of just settled out overnight, like I have seen when people wash yeast?

Does the fact its not see through mean yeast is active, just no apparent co2?

Should i risk doing a brew with it or wait and order more?

It could well take off an be fine. However it wouldn't hurt to order some dried yeast to keep as backup. I like to have a couple of packs of Nottingham for emergencies.

I agree, be patient. I've had 'fresh' vials that took a couple of days to show the first signs of activity. You might have to feed them again with fresh wort, if growth looks small. Remove the bung and use tin foil instead. Did you aerate/shake the starter wort?

Latest posts

Back