Fire extinguisher and corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sburnside85

Reaction score
My head is fried trying to gather info on this so thought I'd ask. Can I just take the hose of a fire extinguisher 2kg co2 cannister and connect a regular co2 regulator (din 477?). Also seen posts about it having to be kept upside down due to the internal tube in the fire extinguisher which normally would be used to squirt out the liquid?

To be honest I'd stay well away from that idea as it doesn't seem safe (for me anyway). I wouldn't go any further until one of the more experienced guys on here can point you in the right direction. I can give you advice on corny kegs :) Gas is a nasty mofo if used wrong.. I'm not trying to "teach your granny" and all that.. Sorry if it sounds patronising but I'd rather you stayed safe.

You've read right; fire extinguishers have a "dip tube" with the idea of delivering liquid CO2. So tipping it upside down should put the end of this tube above the liquid level and so CO2 gas comes out. You want the right connectors to a regulator, don't be tempted to bodge it - the release of lots of high pressure CO2 is not pretty (and it'll be cold!). It would not be responsible of me to suggest what connectors you'll need as what you've got could well differ from what I imagine you've got.

Have a look about for "pub gas". A 6.35Kg cylinder need only cost about £20, lasts for eons, and is a lot less traumatic to fix up. If it helps: Don't be confused by the pressure gauge on the high pressure side of your regulator, it will always read 7-800PSI if there any is liquid in the cylinder (less if there is only gas left). The size of the cylinder doesn't matter, it'll still be 7-800PSI (unless you start mucking about with mixed gas, which will not be a liquid and will be at very much higher pressure). On the low pressure (regulated) side expect to be able to set 12-60PSI (if you want less than 12PSI you have to start messing with other regulators that are less inclined to get "sticky" at such low pressures).

imho buying a bottle is a false economy. as you become responsible for safety checks and certs.
where are you.. if close to andover the andover patio centre dosent chage any bottle deposit so you walk away with a bottle for the price of a refil, they are air liquide agents so the bottle can be refilled at any agents, i use a local agent to refil, i have popped down to andover twice now so have 2 bottles ;)

even if you have to pay a bottle deposit when you return the bottle without an exchange for a full one you can ask for the deposit back ;) so its £20? £50? in the bank, with a competitive 0% interest rate hehe..

have a day out to stonehenge and pop into the andover patio centre on the way perhaps :)

fire extinguishers work well. i used them for a few years now. a regulator fits straight on the to FE. if you fit a new FE and don't invert it you will get icing on your regulator. after a couple of corny keg uses it seems fine to have it stand the correct way. i have one set up in my fridge running two cornys and they last ages.
this is up to you off course.

My head is fried trying to gather info on this so thought I'd ask. Can I just take the hose of a fire extinguisher 2kg co2 cannister and connect a regular co2 regulator (din 477?). Also seen posts about it having to be kept upside down due to the internal tube in the fire extinguisher which normally would be used to squirt out the liquid?

Ideally, you'd use beverage grade CO2 (e.g. 'pub', 'bar', 'cellar' gas) stored in a cylinder fit for the purpose. All the major gas suppliers provide this grade of CO2. In the mean time, use a sodastream CO2 cylinder and prime your kegs with sugar.

imho buying a bottle is a false economy. as you become responsible for safety checks and certs.
where are you.. if close to andover the andover patio centre dosent chage any bottle deposit so you walk away with a bottle for the price of a refil, they are air liquide agents so the bottle can be refilled at any agents, i use a local agent to refil, i have popped down to andover twice now so have 2 bottles ;)

even if you have to pay a bottle deposit when you return the bottle without an exchange for a full one you can ask for the deposit back ;) so its £20? £50? in the bank, with a competitive 0% interest rate hehe..

have a day out to stonehenge and pop into the andover patio centre on the way perhaps :)
Londonderry northern ireland

Thanks for all the replys my thinking was cost for the FE for me to get a bottle from the likes of BOC gas I'd have to shell out for rental etc. Where would I be best looking for pub gas? The pub?

Thanks for all the replys my thinking was cost for the FE for me to get a bottle from the likes of BOC gas I'd have to shell out for rental etc. Where would I be best looking for pub gas? The pub?

Yes I got a pub cylinder from my nearest pub 6.25Kg £25 deposit £10.50 for the gas.

I'm awaiting a reply from airproducts now BOC can't sell to me I tried to open an account today and apparently they can't sell to the public for personal use such as what I'm after. This has become such a nightmare lol

2kg FE quoted at 40 quid is the only lead I have and even then feel dodgy about it lol he asked me why I needed co2 and didn't want to say I was planning on ripping the hose off and attaching a regulator for my keg incase he refused to sell it. He just kept saying I'd be better with a foam one haha

I seen small Fire Extinguishers in Lidl a few weeks ago, I'm also in NI.

Nifex in Dunmurray also deal with these sorts of things. I've never contacted them myself but could be worth giving them a call.

I had an old 2kg FE that's been sitting for years. Last test date was 1999. Local place to me called M&S Fire Protection in Rutherglen (Glasgow) quoted £30 to replace the handle with a screw valve and remove the dip pipe, when I went, they just swapped it for one they had previously done. Refills are £5 too. Really can't complain at that.

Doesn't really help you out but i'd check if there are any local independent places as I'd imagine they'd be more accommodating than larger chain-style outlets.

Thanks too everyone for all the info I have got sorted with a 2 litre co2 cannister from iedepot.ie cost £55 then they refill for £20.
Could have got a 9 litre for £100 with £30 refills but its too big for what I need. They deliver to northern ireland.

Latest posts

Back