Kitchen Scale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I used to use one of those large kitchen scales with a clock face and a container on the top, they were cheap and very hit and miss, i replaced it with the Digital Kitchen Scale below from Argos and what a pleasure it is to use, one of its best features is you can put a container onto the scale then press a button to zero the display, a godsend when measuring sugar.

argos.JPG

I think beer brewers will have been using them for a long time due to the small weights of ingredients they use, as i only used the old type for sugar i wasn't too fussy but as i tried to reduce the amounts i was using i noticed how inaccurate the old type were.

5Kg max is handy. I have a kitchen one like this but it only goes to 3Kg, so have to weigh out grain in a couple of steps. I also have a smaller "drug dealer" style for the hops, where a gram or two out could be significant.

5Kg max is handy. I have a kitchen one like this but it only goes to 3Kg, so have to weigh out grain in a couple of steps. I also have a smaller "drug dealer" style for the hops, where a gram or two out could be significant.

I think you mean jewellers scales?;) which can weigh to 0.1 of a gram. I've got some of these too. Quite cheap off ebay/amazon and are/stay suprisingly accurate. I regularly check mine with a penny or other coins

I got these off eBay years ago for about �£15 including postage:
IMG_20151205_224501_zpsszeypbuw.jpg

They are surprisingly accurate - not 0.1g, but 1g is doable (5g graduations on the threaded weight), so suitable for grain & hops, and up to 10Kg. I recently weighed a parcel I was sending, at 2342g; at the post office it weighed in at 2344g. Not bad.

And they're shiny :)

Latest posts

Back