Gervin Yeast Taking Ages

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthwormgaz

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone used this stuff before? I got this ale going over two weeks ago, and it's still at 1002, so about a quarter of the sugar left.

It has been a bit cold, although it's warmed up now, and it doesn't seem to have sped up much.

I usually use Nottingham yeast, and I could swear it's quicker.

Annoying anyway that it seems I won't be having my Yuletide brew anything like ready in time :(

This was my original thread about this beer.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58574

Gervin ale yeast has never been slow for me, and it is Nottingham yeast, under a brand name. Maybe your pack wasn't in great condition.

"cold" and "1020" in the same sentence suggests a stuck brew. What temp was it fermenting at? Needs to be at least 18C.

I regularly brew with Gervin and it's very reliable, but you do need to keep it warm.

It had gotten down to 15 degrees in the kitchen, but it's been more like 20 after things warmed up a bit, and I did crank the boiler up too.

So should it get going again, or should I do something?

It had gotten down to 15 degrees in the kitchen,

I think that's what's done it.

Move it to the warmest place possible, ideally 22/23C - can you get it in the airing cupboard? Dissolve 150g of sugar in some boiled water and stir that it, and give the brew a good stir whilst at it to rouse the yeast off the bottom. Getting stuck brews going again can be a challenge, as a lot of the fermentables are already used up, but this should give it it's best chance.

I think that's what's done it.

Move it to the warmest place possible, ideally 22/23C - can you get it in the airing cupboard? Dissolve 150g of sugar in some boiled water and stir that it, and give the brew a good stir whilst at it to rouse the yeast off the bottom. Getting stuck brews going again can be a challenge, as a lot of the fermentables are already used up, but this should give it it's best chance.

Thanks for this advice mate. I added half a jar of honey I'd disolved in boiling water, after adding a bit of cold to it. I then stuck it next to the radiator on carpet instead of the cold tile floor in the kitchen. I bunged the heating on 24 hour, and put two hot water bottles next to it!

It's now up to about 22 degrees with the extra sugar. Hopefully this will do the job?

I don't keep sugar in, I imagine honey will be better for the taste though. Not sure if half a jar is enough?

It's gone down to 1018 now, so I think it's moving? Should I keep the central heating blasting away?

What happens when you bottle a stuck brew? Does it end up flat and sweet?

My experience of gervins has been good, generally goes like the clapper, but I ferment mine at around 21-22 degrees so maybe its a bit tempurature sensative

Well, I've just gone for it and bottled it, at around 1018-1016, as it seemed hopelessly stuck, and there was a little clod of mould I spotted floating on the surface, so it seemed best to just bottle it before that spread.

I'll have to hope I don't end up with ...
A) Bottle grenades, or
B) Mould off tastes

:)

Bloody Christmas beer bottled in January. Trust me.

Never had any problem with Gervin / Nottingham here. Usually goes very quickly and I mean like five days and done, but it has always been at about 20 - 22 C when I have used it. I still leave it for a fortnight though before bottling. Gives it a good chance to clear and develop a bit.

Gervin is normally a very active yeast within an hour you get action,i use it instead of the kit yeast,and you do get better clarity,i brew at 23 degrees!!! but this yeast seems to do the buisness.Different yeasts react to different temperatures too,so i have read.

im still not seeing any airlock activity but the last batch I used I also used gervin. and that's come out well, so im just getting stressed out for nothing. I thought this got easier to deal with the more batches u did!

My yeast is lying on the survace , doesn't look as though its doing anything.

After a seven hour lag i started seeing activity. The following day i began to get krausen rise up into the airlock!, the starsasn is now brown. the air holes on the top of the 3 piece were getting blocked from a layer of foam.
Ive left this as it is, its still bubbling every minute so dont see any benefit swapping the airlock over unless i get a gradual suckback due to outside temps but this ill be making sure doesnt happen.
IANSUN did the yeast get going?:-?

After a seven hour lag i started seeing activity. The following day i began to get krausen rise up into the airlock!, the starsasn is now brown. the air holes on the top of the 3 piece were getting blocked from a layer of foam.
Ive left this as it is, its still bubbling every minute so dont see any benefit swapping the airlock over unless i get a gradual suckback due to outside temps but this ill be making sure doesnt happen.
IANSUN did the yeast get going?:-?
Yeah thanks its busy on the go finally

Tony1951

Have you bottled a duplicate recipe with this yeast after three weeks? if so was there any real noticeable difference.

Chris

Latest posts

Back