Landlordish bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've had enough festive cheer now, so tomorrow I'm locking myself away in the shed and making some beer. It's going to be loosely based on wheeler's Timothy Taylor Landlord recipe though with different hops, so not really landlord at all.

The hops are vaguely similar in style though.

Here it is:

12L batch
2500g MO
20g black malt

EKG 12g @ 60
Fuggles 10g @60
EKG 6g @ 10
Fuggles 6g @10

Yeast: wyeast london ale III (assuming my starter recovered from previous brew is ok, otherwise sa-04).

OG 1050 FG 1014. ABV 4.8%. IBU 26

So I've basically replaced the hops (think they were originally Styrian Golding and something else).

And as my dad complained all my beers were too bitter (usually around 40ibu) I'm dropping the bitterness down into the 20s. I might dry hop with some leftover EKG too. So even less like landlord.

One thing I'm going to try is to improve on the amount of trub I get in the fv. To do this I'm going to effectively try and use my biab pot as a proper mash tun,so rather than remove the bag and leave the wort in the pan, I'm going to drain the wort through the tap with the bag in place, then recirculate the work through the grain again, draining as as I do so. I'll then try a sparge in much the same way.

The key difference here is previously I've just lifted out the bag and squeezed it, then go straight to boil. I'm hopeful this will work, though it will take longer.

Full report tomorrow!

Maybe a Blandlord?!! Only joshing mate. Is that a bit too much black malt? If I recall, a 19l brew has 25, and a 23 has 30? If you're sticking to the same bill, would 15 be closer?

Maybe a Blandlord?!! Only joshing mate. Is that a bit too much black malt? If I recall, a 19l brew has 25, and a 23 has 30? If you're sticking to the same bill, would 15 be closer?

I'll double check. I've fannied about with the brew length of this one about 5 times now so it could well be wrong.

I'll double check. I've fannied about with the brew length of this one about 5 times now so it could well be wrong.

I've just had a look - 25g for 19l, 30 for 23 and 33 for 25 is what he quotes, so 15 might be closer to the mark. Give me a minute and I'll run your bill through beersmith to see how the percentages turn out.

Difference of 0.1% - guess it won't matter!

Just checked too, must have adjusted the pale malt and not the black. Good spot! Probably wouldn't make much difference, no, but I'll drop it to 15g. I don't want it too dark in colour.

Latest posts

Back