Gas burner Advice (Propane or Butane)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Prompted by discussion on another thread and the mod team, I'm going to outline some thoughts on using a propane or butane burner.

I got mine from Malt Miller (link and their photo below) so the review is specific to that bit of kit, though of course other homebrewing and gas product vendors are available, and the comments will almost certainly apply to those too (though don't hold me responsible for that).

Also worth clarifying that I'm a total idiot when it comes to using this sort of thing, and the mistakes I made using it are one of the reasons for the review, and not a reflection on the kit itself, which is great. So see this post more as my attempt at helping other users or people considering buying, than a typical review.

Anyway, here are the thoughts.

1) don't use it outdoors. Though you will need ventilation (more on that below), using a burner like this in any sort of breeze will dramatically reduce its power. I burned 45 mins worth of propane before realising this. Didn't get 20L of wort any where near a boil. Go for the shed, or garage, but keep the doors open.

2) This one is important. Make sure you get the air/gas mix right. You should have blue flames with orange tips (I've just learned this myself, thankfully not the hard way). If you've got big billowy orange flames like I had, you need to increase the amount of air getting into the mix.

That's achieved by moving the silver sleeve you can see at the point where the hose joins the burner. I had to move it so the air vent was open about 1cm to get blue flames.

It's important as firstly, not enough air makes the propane/butane produce copious amounts of soot. Like loads of it. A pig to clean up.

But even more importantly, burning propane/butane like this apparently kicks out alot of carbon monoxide. Which is highly toxic and can kill. Hence the need for good ventilation.

3) use it where you have plenty of ventilation.

4) have two gas tanks available. In case one runs out mid boil, obviously.

5) if unsure about what gas tank to get, take the hose and regulator with you when you pick them up. I was glad I did as I could easily have bought the wrong sort if i hadn't.

That's it. Hopefully someone like me will find this helpful!

Link:
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=422

image.jpg

I like propane as it works in very could conditions
I lived on a boat for 9 years, butane pain in the **** when cold

But the good advice from the OP doesn't change. I use both as it happens. Butane is supposedly cleaner and more efficient than propane. Never had issues with the cold myself but I know it can cause problems. They both need to be burned efficiently, well ventilated and treated with respect.

i use propane as well cause of the better at low temps bit..

i also use it in a shed well ventilated and have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted.....kinda scary how hot a shed can get while boiling wort...

I use the shed but don't stand in it while boiling up. I can't imagine all the steam is that good for the shed either but hey ho

I've had butane refuse to play when it's freezing cold
That's why I only use propane now, but I'am still a kit Brewer
I'am talking gas not beer :nono:

I use the shed but don't stand in it while boiling up. I can't imagine all the steam is that good for the shed either but hey ho

My current shed i bought for a brewhouse so ventilation was a big consideration in the design. 2 opening windows and the door left open on brewday also loads of vents beneath roof (and so far no rodents). Bar the windows steaming up a bit so far so good.

I also have a block shed that i did boil in a few times when it was too windy outside.....it was a nightmare literally dripping at end of boil....a lot smaller than wooden shed mind..

How many brews do you think you'd get out of a small butane tank (the £30ish campinggaz size tanks you'd take camping to use to fire up your camping stove)

I use propane, but there is little difference. Butane is 10% more efficient, but the cost is higher.
Place 3 breeze blocks around the outside to prevent wind blowing the flame.
Make sure you are using the correct regulator for the appliance.
2 bottles are ideal, but not nessacary (sp). A set of bathroom scales and some basic maths is all that is required.
I get 13 brews from a 19kg bottle (£38.00).

I use propane, but there is little difference. Butane is 10% more efficient, but the cost is higher.
Place 3 breeze blocks around the outside to prevent wind blowing the flame.
Make sure you are using the correct regulator for the appliance.
2 bottles are ideal, but not nessacary (sp). A set of bathroom scales and some basic maths is all that is required.
I get 13 brews from a 19kg bottle (�£38.00).

What size batch do you make? What kW rating is your burner?

For what? To determine whether you need a back up bottle?

I assume he means you weigh the bottle then see how much the weight drops every time you use it, you will then know roughly how many brews are left when its getting close to empty.

I've done nine brews I think, from one 6k propane bottle and it's still going

I assume he means you weigh the bottle then see how much the weight drops every time you use it, you will then know roughly how many brews are left when its getting close to empty.

I see, though most of the weight would be in bottle itself so you'd need to know empty weight and full weight before you start

As you don't have a spare you are going to find out the empty weight eventually then next time you use one from full you will roughly know the amount of brews you have left, TBH i would not run the risk of running out and would have a small spare as backup.

What size batch do you normally do? Is it much quicker up to the boil than on a gas cooker burner?

I do 25li brews.
16li mash liquor takes 20mins to reach 75oC
2 x 10li sparge ...10li takes 15mins to reach 65oC
The wort usually takes about 20mins to reach rolling boil
Boil for 60mins. With a bit of juggling you can do a full brew in 3hrs 45 mins

I do full volume biab and 33l of water takes about 25-30 mins to get to mash temp. Another 10 mins after that to mash out temp and another 15 to boil I think

I do 25li brews.
16li mash liquor takes 20mins to reach 75oC
2 x 10li sparge ...10li takes 15mins to reach 65oC
The wort usually takes about 20mins to reach rolling boil
Boil for 60mins. With a bit of juggling you can do a full brew in 3hrs 45 mins

Cheers JB. I'm doing smaller batches than that, so should get it down further hopefully.

Time saving is an area I need to work on.

Latest posts

Back