AG2: A galaxy far far away.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfr42

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having had a browse of the recipes on brewer's friend I stumbled across this one which I hope to either this weekend or next.

2.25 kg German - Vienna
0.15 kg American - Caramel / Crystal 60L

4 g Galaxy 60 min
12 g Galaxy 10 min
12 g Galaxy 5 min
12 g Galaxy Whirlpool at 99 °C 10 min

Can anyone confirm if http://www.brewstore.co.uk/simpsons-medium-crystal-malt is a suitable as the caramel crystal?

Also if I'm boiling on my hob top, what can i do to "whirlpool" for the last hop addition?

Thanks as always for any help.

Houston we have lift off, and a problem....

Finally brewed 2 demijohns of this last Sat (30/1). Started hydrating the yeast (left over s-04) during the mash, with 0.25 of a teaspoon of sugar in with each teaspoon of yeast (approx 3g in 30ml) as the remaining half pack had sat in the fridge for almost a month. Anyway it went off like a rocket (quite appropriate really), so possibly over pitched. Hydrometer reading today (5/2) was 1.010, and the airlock bubbles have ceased. The sample tasted incredible, exactly the hop kick i wanted! (very tempted to check the 2nd dj...and then siphon a pint....). Going to let this sit for another week, I had stepped into the 3 weeks for fermentation camp with my kits, but have read AG can ferment quicker(? - will need to read more).

Minor problem: The sample of the youngs APA kit in the main FV, paled (ha ha) in comparison, but is still to be dry hopped, so it has time to redeem itself.

Larger problem: SWMBO hates the smell of boiling malt, and has stated the AG part of this hobby will have to coincide with the ultra rare weekend i'm home alone.

Solutions appear to be AG brewing outside or in the shed, which has electricity but not water. Does anyone else brew in similar circumstances?

Looking more seriously now at peco boilers or a grainfather and relying on bottled water and transporting buckets of wort from the shed to the nearer the hose for cooling....advice welcome.

Larger problem: SWMBO hates the smell of boiling malt, and has stated the AG part of this hobby will have to coincide with the ultra rare weekend i'm home alone.
Solutions appear to be AG brewing outside or in the shed, which has electricity but not water. Does anyone else brew in similar circumstances?

I mash inside the house but boil outside due to the steam and condensation on the walls :nono: Luckily I have a tap next to the window and a socket inside that the kettle will reach. Only issue is that I have to plan my brewdays to fit with a dry day....so for this weekend its Sunday and definitely not Saturday based on the current forecast.
Attached an outside boil of my Galaxy Golden Ale which was made with 40 or 50% Vienna and lots of Galaxy Hops....turned out well...I really like the Galaxy hop flavours.

Resize of P1030756.jpg

I think my future AG efforts will also be just outside the back door like you. This afternoon's sample rivalled my 3 month old kits and I wish I had more then 2 demijohns worth to condition.

The galaxy hops definitely agree with my hop pallet. ;)

This afternoon's sample rivalled my 3 month old kits and I wish I had more then 2 demijohns worth to condition.

That's the thing with AG...certainly with pale ales, you can drink the stuff out of the primary FV...no twang or anything...
Sounds like you'll be scaling up?? :thumb:

Houston we have lift off, and a problem....

Finally brewed 2 demijohns of this last Sat (30/1). Started hydrating the yeast (left over s-04) during the mash, with 0.25 of a teaspoon of sugar in with each teaspoon of yeast (approx 3g in 30ml) as the remaining half pack had sat in the fridge for almost a month. Anyway it went off like a rocket (quite appropriate really), so possibly over pitched. Hydrometer reading today (5/2) was 1.010, and the airlock bubbles have ceased. The sample tasted incredible, exactly the hop kick i wanted! (very tempted to check the 2nd dj...and then siphon a pint....). Going to let this sit for another week, I had stepped into the 3 weeks for fermentation camp with my kits, but have read AG can ferment quicker(? - will need to read more).

Minor problem: The sample of the youngs APA kit in the main FV, paled (ha ha) in comparison, but is still to be dry hopped, so it has time to redeem itself.

Looking more seriously now at peco boilers or a grainfather and relying on bottled water and transporting buckets of wort from the shed to the nearer the hose for cooling....advice welcome.

Life is a compromise, and the missus should compromise if you have to!

The shed will need changing if it is too small, and a water feed to the shed is a must - not too difficult (I should hope) if you already have a tap in the garden. A grainfather would be icing on the cake!

After all, you are only trying to 'keep her happy' by relocating to the shed. Brewing only on absentee weekends should be deemed unacceptable! Don't give in. If you do, you may as well just serve up your balls as a little aperitifs for what is to follow!

Regards,

Steve (once divorced!)

I think my future AG efforts will also be just outside the back door like you. This afternoon's sample rivalled my 3 month old kits and I wish I had more then 2 demijohns worth to condition.

Galaxy really are great hops. I shall be returning to the galaxy soon :-)

re: not brewing in kitchen, I have found the trick is to leave the kitchen tidier than you left it and if you can brew something she likes too :D

Tried both of those d o j.

The lingering malt smell and the fact it induces headaches doesn't make up for the cleaner kitchen.
Her palate is also very yeast sensitive to date and she doesn't like beer to start with.
Boiler at the back door seems to be a good solution, got about 4 or 5 months worth of beer conditioning, so don't NEED to brew for a month or two.

Hi wfr42 I noticed you mentioned the brewstore Edinburgh are you living in that area. I was buying from them but I'm now buying my engredients from Ireland Get er brewed who are great with prices and you can make up your own exact quantity needed for a brew and it totals up everything and delivery is amazing only £5.95 parcelforce

I did a brew outside today as dry but a bit cold great fun. Single hop saaz ale
View attachment 4518View attachment 4520View attachment 4521

Great to see the new burner in operation and I noticed that you have constructed a "wind-break".

I used to have a similar burner on a smoker and in a high wind it blew out with monotonous regularity ... :mrgreen:

... until I wrapped some fine mesh stainless steel around the bottom of the smoker and also round the air adjuster. :thumb:

Watching a wort boil for an hour or so isn't quite the same as expecting the flame to stay constant for 12 hours to smoke a brisket, but it may still be worth your while. :thumb:

My two AG brews to date have used 2kg and 2.4kg of grain total, measured to my recipe and milled in front of me.

If/when i get a boiler for bigger batches the delivery costs may be worthwhile, though I do like having and supporting a LHBS.

Creativity in action.
Necessity as the mother of invention.
Just gotta love this Homebrew thing!

:thumb:

Tried both of those d o j.

The lingering malt smell and the fact it induces headaches doesn't make up for the cleaner kitchen.
Her palate is also very yeast sensitive to date and she doesn't like beer to start with.
Boiler at the back door seems to be a good solution, got about 4 or 5 months worth of beer conditioning, so don't NEED to brew for a month or two.

perhaps pamper her with a prezzie for valentines / birthday that gets her out of the house for a bit ;-) - spa weekend or summat.

I'm lucky in that respect a 15-20 min extract boil means less of a problem.

Life is a compromise, and the missus should compromise if you have to!

The shed will need changing if it is too small, and a water feed to the shed is a must - not too difficult (I should hope) if you already have a tap in the garden. A grainfather would be icing on the cake!

After all, you are only trying to 'keep her happy' by relocating to the shed. Brewing only on absentee weekends should be deemed unacceptable! Don't give in. If you do, you may as well just serve up your balls as a little aperitifs for what is to follow!

Regards,

Steve (once divorced!)

Agree with Steve. I'm also once divorced and it takes compromise to make it work. And compromise isn't getting out of her way. You'll brew once, twice a month.... Not everyday. My ex was that way. I had to love and participate in all her wims and dreams but damned be mine!! Well, I got the house she lives in a one bedroom flat.... And I brew!!

Latest posts

Back