Covrich Brew day thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Slovenian IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.625
Total Hops (g): 200.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (°P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.52 %
Colour (SRM): 6.2 (EBC): 12.2
Bitterness (IBU): 58.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.250 kg Maris Otter Malt (93.33%)
0.250 kg Vienna (4.44%)
0.125 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (2.22%)

Hop Bill
----------------
35.0 g Styrian Aurora Pellet (8.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
10.0 g Styrian Dana Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
10.0 g Styrian Wolf Pellet (13.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
15.0 g Styrian Dana Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
15.0 g Styrian Wolf Pellet (13.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
25.0 g Styrian Cascase Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.1 g/L)
10.0 g Styrian Dana Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.4 g/L)
10.0 g Styrian Wolf Pellet (13.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.4 g/L)
15.0 g Styrian Aurora Pellet (8.8% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop) (0.7 g/L)
25.0 g Styrian Cascase Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop) (1.1 g/L)
15.0 g Styrian Dana Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop) (0.7 g/L)
15.0 g Styrian Wolf Pellet (13.6% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop) (0.7 g/L)

Went with this in the end

Hadn't used pellets in a while actually so some of my water figures were slightly out.. got a few points higher gravity and about 24 liters so some extra efficiency there, however because at 15 liters the tap kept blocking I used the spoon to release the wort I think I got a bit of extra sediment fro, the hops... no harm done though I guess.

The hops were really fresh smelling and the wort had a really strong taste.. Problem I find with worts is they can taste nothing like the final product so we have to see how it settles down too.

I did try making a little tea with a few pellets each but to be honest the pellets just expanded and whilst I got some aroma idea they were a bit bitter to taste.. Doesn't help IU feel a bit under teh weather this evening but its a start.

Thanks GEB and Manse again.. I will keep this updated and put some reviews on the website when I get closer to tasting

Last edited:
I am planning something similar in terms of hops using the aurora as bittering and still have to work out how to make best use of the citrusy hops. I may go for most at 5 minutes and all the rest in 2 lots of dry hops.

This will be my first go with pellets as well so not sure how that will go. I will probably buy some nylon stockings/socks and put them in there.

My grain bill will be 93% pilsner, 3% flaked oats for a smoothish mouthfeel and 4% acid malt as I am looking for a very pale/cloudy slightly sour hoppy ale about 5.9%ish.

I am interested to see how yours turns out and will post my full recipe Mon/Tuesday when I brew.

I am planning something similar in terms of hops using the aurora as bittering and still have to work out how to make best use of the citrusy hops. I may go for most at 5 minutes and all the rest in 2 lots of dry hops.

This will be my first go with pellets as well so not sure how that will go. I will probably buy some nylon stockings/socks and put them in there.

My grain bill will be 93% pilsner, 3% flaked oats for a smoothish mouthfeel and 4% acid malt as I am looking for a very pale/cloudy slightly sour hoppy ale about 5.9%ish.

I am interested to see how yours turns out and will post my full recipe Mon/Tuesday when I brew.

I think ours will be fairly similar. I've gone for 95% pilsner and 5% carapils and using the floral/citrus hops (I think!). I want a nice crisp IPA.

Love it
I pinched the idea from a local brewery, Wylam, after chatting with the brewer Their latest ale WxY was 93% pilsner and he added the acid malt to give it a sour edge to go with loads of NZ hops. I have always wanted to try a sourish beer and hope this will match the more fruity/citrusy Styrians so it's a bit of a punt.

Recipe looks good and will be interested to see how this turns out. I won't be brewing this weekend, still waiting for the electrician.

still bubbling occasionally but gravity is 1012 abnd based on the drip samples I am on to a massive winner!! not even sure whether I need to dry hop or not but might do anyway will post some hop reviews after I bottle on get er brewed site,, this is very much like an american style IPA based on the drops I had..

Might give this recipe a go myself Covrich - which yeast did you go for?

For this I wanted to keep it simple.. I did think about getting an expensive liquid yeast and doing it across the board on a few of these but in the end I opted for US05, that way its nice clean and let the hops shine.. and from what I have very briefly sampled from the drips of the hydrometer its very much similar to an American IPA so it does lend itself..

I dry hopped this with the remainder of teh hops used in the boil last night, may not have needed it but what the heck

so far this seems a bit of a winner, I wrote reviews on get er brewed too

Early impressions I get floral and citrussy and almost some dark fruit hints at the back, will need time for this to develop but so far it seems like these are the dogs B***ks .. or the Styrian wolfs B***ks :lol::oops:

I was also one of the lucky winners of the hops and am at the boil stage at the moment of covrichs slovenian ipa,sorry to do an exact copy mate but i have only done a few ag brews so am not greatly experienced in inventing recipes and really want to try out my hops and wanted an ipa so yours sounded good!
Once i have got this done i will try something a bit more original but want to get a taste of the hops to see where i want to go with my next brew,hope its good covrich....any tips regarding the brew and dry hopping appreciated have you had a good taste yet cheers lagerlad

NO worries

I bottled mine this morning

very clean quite clear its young but so far a strong IPA bitterness to it with some herbs and subtle berry fruitiness to it with your classic cascade aroma and flavour coming through.. the cascade is very forward at the minute.. that said I am not disappointed it is all very nice...

I think If I do this again I might split the hops up a bit differently just to see how it changes but as it stands I am one happy bunny.. pictures of the first pint coming next week (when I cave in)

Only 6 days in teh bottle 5 warm 1 cold but I tried one last night... chill hazed a little..(clear in the warm) but other than that its good already.. I will hold off for a week or two before I fully make my review of this because it will let the hops blend a little more...

So far It is very blonde straw like has a solid bitter backbone with some herby and fruitiness and quite a strong cascade flavour and aroma.. If I repeate this which I may well actually do I will tweak the recipe I think but other than that its looking like an absolute winner, great fresh floral fruity and citrusy punchy beer..

I may have to have another tonight for science reasons to affirm what I said ;)

Well bottled this today fg 1.011 so about bang on dry hopped for 5 days and I think its gonna be a cracker,smells lovely and I drank the sample I took for the hydrometer which is becoming a habit but a good one 😊,thanks again to covrich for recipe and mm and geterbrewed for hops will review on geterbrewed in a couple of weeks once I start downing the brew cheers lagerlad

Glad you're liking it..

Had one last night (and will have one tonight) the hops have def blended together better now.. after a week or so teh cascade was jumping out on top but now its just blended , the cascade is there but there are some more subtle citrus floral and fruitness thrown in too, the dana had come through as has the wolf..

Really really pleased with myself on this recipe actually..

This was teh recipe

Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 3.3 (EBC): 6.5
Bitterness (IBU): 26.6 (Average)

100% Pilsner

1.1 g/L Saviniski Golding (2.5% Alpha) @ 75 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Styrian Bobek (5.2% Alpha) @ 75 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Saviniski Golding (2.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Styrian Bobek (5.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Saviniski Golding (2.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
0.7 g/L Styrian Bobek (5.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 75 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

A few things kind of went wrong but hopefully of little consequence..

When I mashed in my stick thermomemter on teh pot dropped down loads even though I stirred, I added some heat and stirred then it shot up to 80.. I removed lid stirred vigoursly and added some cold water, it went down to 69 after 5 or so minutes I put my electrical digital in and it said 66 .. Put lid on and left it... So in the first 10 minutes or so of the mash there was a temp spike.. not sue if or how that will make a difference..

Only other mistake was a silly one, I weight out the 5 min and teh flame out hops and threw the flame out in the 5 mins by accident so I threw the 5 mins in at 80 degree flame out..no major shakes.

It is fermenting at 18 now.. I am hoping to get some kind of pseudo pilsner but it will be whatever it will be..

I then ended up with too much water.. I have about 24 or 25 liters and teh gravity a few points less 1046.. again no harm done.. I think switching to pellets has threw out my numbers (and adding some cold water for mash panic mode..) maybe I should have boiled longer but again no harm done..

I hope it works out well. I mixed up my flame out and 15 minute additions last time. No harm done in the end.

Let us know how these hops turn out.

I've got a couple of Slovakian hops waiting in my shopping basket for my next order.

A lot of the American hops seem to be very expensive at the moment as I understand there was a bad harvest this year. I'm hoping that some of the new Slovakian varieties might prove a suitable replacement.

I hope it works out well. I mixed up my flame out and 15 minute additions last time. No harm done in the end.

Let us know how these hops turn out.

I've got a couple of Slovakian hops waiting in my shopping basket for my next order.

A lot of the American hops seem to be very expensive at the moment as I understand there was a bad harvest this year. I'm hoping that some of the new Slovakian varieties might prove a suitable replacement.

Well I made a Solvenian IPA I did throw a good load of these hops in, I used Aurora for bittering Dana and wolf for 15 and 5 minute additions and dana wolf cascade for flame out and dry hopping..

Its worked out fantastic and a great alternative to american hops.. the cascade is very familiar but I get floral and citrus flavours from Dana and fruity blueberry flavours from the wolf..

Honestly they are fantastic so far..

Latest posts

Back